Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Keeping my "Resolution"

Over the holiday break I (thankfully!) had plenty of (much needed) reading time.
I had quite a few books to read, but I couldn't resist this one!
Beautiful Creatures caught my eye a few months ago, and I just knew it was going to be the first thing I read when I got the chance.



Summary (taken from goodreads):

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


Review (Spoiler-free!) :

Woah.
Um, yeah. That's just about all I can say that describes how I felt after reading Beautiful Creatures.
It was that great.
First off, I think the authors did a great job writing together (I could only imagine what writing with a friend of mine would be like and... well, I don't think it'd work out so well. To say the least. Ha). I not only loved their writing style, but enjoyed every detail and description of the setting and what the south is like (for those who don't know), and greatly appreciated their character development. I have a hard enough time liking characters lately (I'm a little picky. Or maybe just getting old...), and relating to them is an even bigger challenge. A challenge I didn't have at all with BC.

I'm not only from the south, but from a small town as well, so I completely understood and could totally relate to Ethan's feelings for the rest of Gatlin's population and wanting to get as far away as possible, as soon as he could. As for the characters I didn't relate to... It didn't matter. They were written so realistically, I felt like I knew them. I really, truly liked them all, but besides the main cast, I definitely loved the three aunts. So funny!

Now before I started reading, I stumbled across some reviews that left me pretty confused.
The book looked great, I'd heard it was great from people whose reviews I trust, so I was definitely surprised at how many mixed reviews there were. I still don't understand, to be honest. The biggest and closest thing to a problem I had with the book is that I'm not used to believing a guy like Ethan exists. So maybe that's not an actual flaw, but just unfortunate that we all don't know/didn't know an Ethan in high school. Haha

So, if you're looking for a book that has some supernatural, mystery and romance--I'm sure you'd enjoy Beautiful Creatures!
I know I'll be first in line for the sequel, which I'm highly anticipating already!

Rating: 5 stars




-Briana






1 comment:

  1. Good review! I'm nearly finished with Beautiful Creatures :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!