Friday, March 19, 2010

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Had this review written for a while (by "a while", I mean since January...), but I've been so out of it lately. :|
I suck.

Anyhooo...


Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

While the premise to Hush, Hush seemed interesting, I have to say the cover was definitely what captured my attention. It’s so so SO great! Kudos to the design team and photographer.


I’ve never heard of a book about angels and me being a Supernatural fan, I was highly anticipating this one. And then after continuously hearing all the hype surrounding it, I grew even more anxious.


I read this book in one sitting which isn’t necessarily out of the ordinary, but for a book this size (almost 400 pages), I was expecting to take my time with it (especially with it being one of the last books I’ll be reading for a while...) and finish the book in more than just a night.

I couldn’t.

This book did not start off slow at all and sucked me in immediately, keeping my attention chapter after chapter.


I don’t want to say much about the actual story for fear of giving anything away, but like Beautiful Creatures, the mixed reviews confused me.

I didn’t really see many similarities to Twilight like some of the reviews have mentioned, besides the fact that Patch is “dangerous” and he and Nora met in Biology class.

Sigh.

First of all, Patch is a fallen angel. You know, fallen. You don’t have to be religious to know that fallen angels aren’t necessarily good here people!

Hence, danger.

Secondly, I think with YA being YA, the setting has to take place at least partly in school (excluding summer/holiday stories, obviously), if not at least mentioning school in some way.

With that said, think about your high school. What is the one class that almost always requires a partner?

Exactly.

I think the reason a Biology/Science class is frequently used is not always just a random way to copy Twilight; it adds to the story, making it believable.

Well, at least to me.

That’s not to say there aren’t other creative, slightly more original ways to get two characters to meet besides a science class, but I know I never got assigned a partner in any other class besides Biology and Chemistry, and those partners were (unfortunately) people I’d never met/talked to, so it fits.

Just saying.




Anyway...

It’s obvious I really enjoyed this book and there’s nothing negative I can say about it other than I totally foresaw who the villain was.

Which is something I don’t really consider as a “negative” because it happens so often, I’m used to it. As long as it doesn’t take away from the story, I’m fine with it.


So anyone looking for a new paranormal romance with something other than vampires should definitely give Hush, Hush a try!

I know *I* am looking forward to the next book and getting to know the characters a little better.



If the books I’ve read so far show any indication to how well this year’s books will be, I’m even more excited!

It’s gonna be a good year of YA.





Briana



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!