Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins



Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Summary from amazon:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


Review:

I have to say, after seeing nothing but good reviews and 5 star ratings, I was expecting something great. Thankfully, Hex Hall was just that and much more.


I’m kind of a sucker for witches so from the beginning I knew this was a book that had to be moved up my TBR pile. :)


While the story was light and fun, it still had the mystery aspect and even a little suspense. I loved the history and background surrounding Hecate (not to mention the very visual scene after Sophie’s first dinner-- so cool!). My favorite character (besides Sophie) definitely had to be Archer. I loved their chemistry together and in every scene they never failed to make me smile. Jenna was also great and I loved that the vampires were actually looked at as the bad guys for once.


This was definitely a good start to what looks to me like an amazing series! I do kind of wish I waited a little longer to read this though, so the wait for book 2 will be a little more bearable. :(


Definitely recommended to everyone!!!

Especially fans of Claudia Gray’s Evernight series, Cara Lockwood’s Bard Academy series & Libba Bray’s Gemma Doyle Trilogy!




Briana



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!