Friday, July 23, 2010

The Forest of Hands And Teeth Series




The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
(Summary taken from author's site)

In Mary's world, there are simple truths. Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?


Review:

This book was one of those books that just seemed to be everywhere. There were so many great reviews, I gave in immediately and bought it along with it’s companion.

Yep, what can I say, I’m weak.

I’ve never read a zombie book, so needless to say, I was really excited to see what all the hype was about.


The Bad: Now I’m not entirely sure if there was too much hype and my expectations were too high, or if I just wasn’t a big fan of the storyline (I’m leaning towards the first one), but I (sadly) didn’t enjoy this one as much as I’d hoped.


The beginning of the book was great and really eery with action from the very start, making me pretty eager to learn more about the Sisterhood. And then that didn’t really happen. It got a little boring for me and was often too slow.

I think the main problem I had however, was the main character. She just annoyed me far too much sometimes (and by sometimes, I mean many times). And the love triangle/square irked me.


I guess this would be a good time to admit that I’m not the biggest fan of love triangles. I hate them. They either have to be done really really well or all characters must be tolerable, in order for me to like the story.

This story didn’t have either of those. Mary couldn’t make up her mind half the time about which boy she wanted, which kind of confused me, leaving me no idea who to root for. When I did finally choose a “side”, well, it was just a lost cause. I’ll say that much.

I don’t wanna sound too harsh, but I admit, I was a tad disappointed with this book.

Which is not to say that I didn’t enjoy the story, because I did. Just not as much as I’d wanted to.


The Good: It definitely wasn’t bad enough to keep me from reading the next one!


Rating:


***************************


The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

(Summary taken from author's site)


Gabry lives a quiet life, secure in her town next to the sea and behind the Barrier. She's content to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. Home is all she's ever known, and all she needs for happiness. But life after the Return is never safe, and there are threats even the Barrier can't hold back.



Review:


I’m not too sure if it’s because I quickly readjusted my expectations after reading FOHAT or if this story was just plain better, but either way, I found The Dead Tossed Waves to be much better than Carrie Ryan’s first book.

Again, there was action from the very beginning (which is one thing I love about these books), and Gabrielle’s perspective was definitely more enjoyable than her mother’s, in my opinion. In fact, this book’s whole cast of characters were better, hardly annoying me at all. The ending was also better than I expected and I look forward to the next book to find out what happens next for Gabrielle, Elias and Catcher.


To me, this is a series that seems to be improving and if you enjoy or are interested in zombie/post-apocalyptic stories, it wouldn’t hurt to give these a try!


Rating:

♥.5

And by the way, I just looove these covers. So great! And, after just recently seeing the cover to The Dark and Hollow Places and I think they (like the books) seem to be getting better as well.

Love ‘em.





Briana


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you were so disappointed. I loved both of these books, though I did like the first one better. Hopefully the next one is good =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, after seeing the cover to the next book, I'm pretty excited for it!
    Hopefully I do enjoy it more! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!