Thursday, July 29, 2010

Project 17 and Bad Girls Don't Die


It’s no secret that I’m kind of a paranormal/supernatural freak. I absolutely love horror movies, ghost stories and haunted houses. Yeah, I’m that girl. haha That being said, I often (maybe too often... lol) get in the mood for a good, scary read. This was obviously one of those times and the two books I chose were Project 17 and Bad Girls Don’t Die.



Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz

High atop Hathorne Hill, near Boston, sits Danvers State Hospital. Built in 1878 and closed in 1992, this abandoned mental institution is rumored to be the birthplace of the lobotomy. Locals have long believed the place to be haunted. They tell stories about the unmarked graves in the back, of the cold spots felt throughout the underground tunnels, and of the treasures found inside: patients' personal items like journals, hair combs, and bars of soap, or even their old medical records, left behind by the state for trespassers to view. On the eve of the hospital's demolition, six teens break in to spend the night and film a movie about their adventures. For Derik, it's an opportunity to win a filmmaking contest and save himself from a future of flipping burgers at his parents' diner. For the others, it's a chance to be on TV, or a night with no parents. But what starts as a playful dare quickly escalates into a frenzy of nightmarish action. Behind the crumbling walls, down every dark passageway, and in each deserted room, they will unravel the mysteries of those who once lived there and the spirits who still might.


Review:


If you were to take House on Haunted Hill and combine it with The Breakfast Club, Project 17 would undoubtedly be the outcome in book form (which is a good thing!). This story is told from alternating perspectives, giving you the chance to explore the asylum through the eyes each of the (very different) characters who have their own (also different) set of reasons for being there. Laurie really does have a talent for creepy writing and this book not only made me want to spend the night in a haunted place that much more (It’s on my bucket list!), but also made me even more eager to read her other popular series Blue Is For Nightmares, which I’ve heard a lot about and has been on my wish list for ages. She is definitely an author whose work seems to be consistently great, and I look forward to reading more of her books very soon!

Rating:



*******



Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender


When Alexis’s little sister Kasey becomes obsessed with an antique doll, Alexis thinks nothing of it. Kasey is a weird kid. Period. Alexis is considered weird, too, by the kids in her high school, by her parents, even by her own Goth friends. Things get weirder, though, when the old house they live in starts changing. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath in. Kasey is changing, too. Her blue eyes go green and she speaks in old-fashioned language, then forgets chunks of time. Most disturbing of all is the dangerous new chip on Kasey’s shoulder. The formerly gentle, doll-loving child is gone, and the new Kasey is angry. Alexis is the only one who can stop her sister — but what if that green-eyed girl isn’t even Kasey anymore?



Review:


Alexis is the girl I wish I was in high school. Sure, her tough, cool attitude and tongue in cheek sense of humor kept people away, leaving her friendless, but I loved that she was so sure of herself and confident, always speaking her mind. Definitely not what I was like a few years ago (which actually seems like forever ago!). I don’t wanna give anything away so I’ll just say: READ IT. You won’t be disappointed, I promise. And as if this book wasn’t enough to satisfy the paranormal lover in me, I just discovered it’s a 3-book series!


The Second book From Bad To Cursed will be released next spring! I am so excited.


Rating:





Briana



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!