Thursday, September 2, 2010

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger



Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

Review:

After seeing so many great reviews for The Duff, I gave in and decided to pick this one up.

And lemme tell you... I’m totally glad I did!


Something to know about me: I don’t read while I’m at school. I’m one of those people that must have peace and (at least some) quiet when reading, so I just don’t even bother. Yet, on an ordinary Tuesday afternoon I found myself completely attached to this book--I couldn’t put it down!


It wasn’t at all what I expected (which is a good thing-don’t worry!). The DUFF sort of seems like the typical story about a girl who has self-esteem issues, right? WRONG! That’s what I thought, but it’s so much more. Weight and looks weren’t the center of the story at all and that was really refreshing. They were apart of it of course, but the main focus was on Bianca’s life in general, including family issues, friends and of course, boy trouble. It was realistic, honest and true and all the things I think a YA novel should be. Kody Keplinger didn’t shy away from serious subject matters including sex and alcoholism, and I loved that.


And I also loved that the characters were so realistically written--flaws and all, I could easily picture them being people I know (Or people I’d like to know. I’m talkin’ about you Wesley... ;D)

Ahem.

Anyway, like I was saying... this story is one I think every girl would enjoy because I think all of us can relate to it at one point or another, no matter your situation.


So if you still haven’t read The DUFF, please do! I promise you will not be disappointed. I swear.

And I will most definitely be looking out for Kody’s other work!


Rating: 5 stars



Briana

1 comment:

  1. I've read so many positive reviews about The Duff...but didn't think it was my type of book. But I think I'm finally going to pick up this book. Great review!

    Jen @ Overused Parentheses

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!