Monday, September 20, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer


Summary:
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything--including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

Review:

Woah. Where to begin...


I figured since I had a few hours to spare this weekend, I’d read a bit of this book. Like, just a chapter or two, because I have a week full of tests coming up. Um, yeah. I guess I don’t have to tell you I ended up finishing it within 24 hrs--I could NOT stop reading. If I totally fail my courses this semester I’m completely blaming it on awesome books!*



The Likes (or um, LOVES):

-Calla: Very rarely do I read from a perspective of a character I don’t want to slap (At least once!). I loved her. She was easy to understand and sympathize with even if you know, you’re not exactly a werewolf (or Guardian, I should say).


-The Wolfpack: We are introduced to the characters (and they are just that--characters!) that will soon make up the pack Calla will be the leader of. From her brother Ansel and best friend Brynn, to the Banes (their rivals), it’s hard not to love them. I especially liked how they not only acted like a completely normal group of friends, but like a family and were protective of one another. Which in a pack, I guess is expected, but it was nice to see it in a very natural, non-creepy/obvious way. (Does that make ANY sense...? If I sound incompetent--it’s the book! I’m at a loss for words, go with it!)

-Last but definitely not least, The Love Triangle:

I’m pretty sure I’ve said this before--I do not enjoy love triangles. I always end up hating one of the suitors so much that I want them dead. And when I want a character dead, well, it NEVER happens (coughStephenieMeyercoughcough). Andrea Cremer however, is a rare exception. While I really liked Shay and could see why Calla did as well, I really really liked Ren. It’s definitely not like me to be this confused about whose team I’m exactly on (It's so hard to choose!), so I look forward to figuring that out come book 2.


The Dislikes:

-Why, oh WHY do I have to wait almost a whole year for the sequel?? :(

But I guess it could be worse.



This book somewhat reminded me of a cross between the Underworld movies (Only no vampires, but instead... well, you’ll find out) and Blood and Chocolate (The movie, because unsurprisingly, I didn’t like the book).

That’s not to say Nightshade is not original though, because it totally is! It was really quite refreshing to see a different version of werewolves in a very enticing world Andrea Cremer created, one that I can't wait to read more of!


I’ve stated before that I’m not a werewolf fan at all, but I always try to have an open mind--and I’m so glad I stick by that rule! Nightshade is much more than just a “werewolf book” and I strongly recommend reading it--especially if you’re looking for something “festive” to coincide with Halloween. Nightshade has just the right amount of romance, action and suspense to appeal to a variety of readers and it would be the perfect choice for the holiday, I promise.


Rating:



Nightshade will be available on October 19, 2010. And it’s sequel Wolfsbane, in the summer of 2011, which I’m already impatiently anticipating!



P.S. Andrea, if you decide to have Calla end up with Shay, I could you know, take Ren off her hands. Feel free to write me in there. ;)





* I'm obviously kidding. (Sort of.)



Briana

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love you side note at the end. I'm so glad you loved this novel. Ever since I saw this stunning cover and read the novel's description I've been eagerly awaiting it. Thanks for your review! I'm so glad to see you couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!