Friday, October 8, 2010

Elixir by Hilary Duff



Photobucket

As the daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington D.C. politician, Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. And though she dreads the paparazzi who track her every move, she herself is a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world.
But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful young man begin to appear in Clea’s photos—a man she has never seen in her life.

When Clea suddenly encounters this man in person she is stunned—and feels an immediate and powerful connection. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father’s disappearance and discover the centuries-old truth behind their intense bond.
Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fate, together they race against time to unravel their past in order to save their future—and their lives.



I’m not big on celebrity books.

I always try to be open to different genres and authors, so last year I tried reading Lauren Conrad’s series and... well, I didn’t like it. I’ll leave it at that. Ever since then, I’ve been kind of iffy on books that are “written” by celebrities, but when I first read the premise for Elixir, it sounded interesting enough and I figured I’d give it a shot.

I’m actually a big Hilary fan (Since I was 8!), so before reading, I made sure I was going into this book completely unbiased.


I started reading Elixir not knowing much about it besides the premise and I’m glad because I was pleasantly surprised. Hilary Duff and her partner Elise Allen did an excellent job drawing you in. The night I started reading I told myself I was only going to read 3 chapters (at most) because I had to wake up early the next morning. Yeah, that didn’t happen. I ended up reading 6 chapters, which I realized is practically half the book (the chapters are long)! It was so hard to put down!


Highlights:

-I really loved that the action/mystery happened right away. There are a lot of books that take a while to get into, and though I initially thought this might be one of them, I was immediately hooked instead.

-I enjoyed all the characters, but I especially liked Rayna, Clea’s best friend. She wasn’t in the entire book, but when she was around, her comic relief was great.


Dislikes:

-Like most first installments, Elixir felt like a setup for the next books. It was an interesting start, but I felt there could’ve been more... story, I guess. I loved what I read, though.

-Ring, ring! We have yet another, cliff-hanger. I’m really beginning to HATE series. I can’t wait a whole year for the next book! I am an incredibly impatient person and it’s driving me crazy how many books I’m currently waiting for. Ugh. /endrant


Note: Above all, this is a romance story. A reincarnation-romance story. So if you have a problem with the whole girl-instantly-falling-in-love-with-guy type story, just know that since reincarnation is a big part of the novel, the romance is not entirely superficial as it may sound.



Overall, I was really impressed with this book. My expectations weren’t that high to begin with, but that changed for the next book. I can’t wait to read what will happen next to Clea, Sage, Ben and Rayna. I’ve never read a book about reincarnation but after Elixir, I’m on the lookout for more. If you have any recommendations, feel free to share!



I hardly ever give a 5 heart-rating to the first books in a series, but I really enjoyed this one. Though, it may have been because I had zero expectations. If you read this one, let me know what you think.


Elixir will be in stores next Tuesday, October 12 and I highly suggest picking up a copy!




8 comments:

  1. I'm not big on celebrity books, either. But this review makes me want to give it a shot, because the summary sounds interesting enough. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this book. I was the biggest fan of hers too and when I found out she wrote a book I was kind of neutral about it, but this is the first review and now I am extra excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first chapter of this online and thought it was really good. Can't wait to read it. Great review!

    Kate @ Literary Explorations

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hilary Duff! I was so excited when I found out she was writing a novel. I didn't know you could read the first chapter online! I'm off to read it now.

    I didn't like Lauren Conrad's book either (I think it's called L.A. Candy?). It read exactly like an episode of The Hills, which I can't stand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alissa- Your welcome! I hope you like it! :)

    Brooke- Yay! I'm glad you're excited. I was neutral about it at first too but like I said, I was pleasantly surprised.

    Kate- I didn't know the first chapter was online! The first chapter is like the intro to the book. From the second chapter on out, is where all the good stuff happens. If you liked it, you'll (hopefully) like the rest. :)

    Jen- Woo another Hilary fan! haha And I totally felt the same way about LA Candy! I mean, if your novel is going to mirror your own life, might as well write an autobiography! I don't know.. that's just my logic. haha... Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm so glad to hear this was a good book. Like you, I'm always skeptical of celebrity books too but this one sounds really good. I like good love stories at the heart of the books I read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it's on the publishers website as a free preview, probably so you go out and buy the book. It definitely reads different than other celebrity books out there. I read Lauren Conrad's L.A. Candy series but never expected much out of it, so I wasn't disappointed by it. I'll be reading the last one in the trilogy just so I know how all the lose ends get tied up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOWAY! SHE WRITES
    I gotta chcek it out! :O I love hilary!!
    anywayyyy girl YOU MY FRIEND have won on award on MY BLOG.
    Congrats!
    http://we-b-blogging.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!