Sunday, November 28, 2010

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma



Photobucket


Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal' teenagers. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have become much more than brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love. But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences ...
How can something so wrong feel so right?


Let me start off by stating that before I knew what this novel was about or even heard of it, I saw that it got a super great rating by one of my favorite bloggers. Naturally, I grew curious and went to look it up. Let’s just say the premise was not exactly what I was expecting. I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to read it, because like most people I’m sure, when I think of my brothers, the two most annoying little brats come to mind. Just the thought of incest literally makes me sick. I’m not usually a weak person, but I just didn’t feel I had the stomach to get through this book.


It wasn’t until later when I read an interview with Tabitha (which is probably my favorite author interview I’ve read to date), that I decided I needed to read it to see for myself.*


And I’m happy I made that decision.


Forbidden is not a light read, nor is it an easy one. The writing flows beautifully and terrifically, and was no doubt the reason the book was so heavy. Suzuma makes you feel and makes you think; feel for the characters and think about their situation making you realize that not everything is always black and white. It’s still wrong sure, but it was understandable how Maya and Lochan became so close--there was a reason for it. The dysfunctional home life they grew up in naturally made it so that they grew up with one another like partners, not siblings, and looked to each other as a best friend and only companion.


To say that I grew attached to the characters might be an understatement. In some instances throughout the book I became so caught up in their lives and problems, I just wanted them to have a happy ending--I needed it, they deserved it. And then I’d quickly backtrack realizing the only happy ending they wanted was each other. And that’s just wrong!


Which leads to my pure hatred for their horrible excuse of a mother. The woman was disgusting and such a deadbeat, ignoring most of the time the fact that she even had children. She was the basis for all their problems to begin with and I am almost certain the reason they grew up and eventually ended up the way they did.


Which leaves the ending. That ending! Frankly, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t see it coming. A few details were off but it’s quite clear from the very start that there will not be a Happily Ever After for these two.


I’m afraid to say anything more because the last thing I want to do is spoil this book for you, but just know--this book has everything a good story needs: fantastic writing, multi-dimensional characters, a plot that makes you want to hide yet draws you in at the same time and an unforgettable ending.



Forbidden is only available in the UK and will soon be available in the US in the summer. I highly suggest picking up a copy when it's released! Or you could splurge on the extra cost for shipping as I did, it's worth it. This is a book you won’t soon forget.







*Interview mentioned: Part one & Part two.




11 comments:

  1. Hi Briana!
    I hadn't heard of FORBIDDEN before.
    Thank you for the thoughtful review.
    Is it similar to FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC?
    All the best,
    RKCharron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read great reviews as well and like you I was hesitant- I still am- due to the subject, but if it is handled so well, I'm sure it is going to be an unforgettable read!

    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing review! I completely agree with you saying that their situation isn't just black and white. And the fact that I grew so amazingly close to the characters and the fact that their mom is a total dead beat. I didn't see the ending coming at all! Until it was obviously stated. I was so shocked! Maybe that's why I cried when I read it.
    Fantastic review Briana!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! :)

    And @ RK Charron: I'm sorry, I can't tell you if it's similar to Flowers in the Attic because I haven't read it. And I wouldn't know if comparing the two is a good thing given that there are a heck of a lot mixed reviews on V.C. Andrews. haha
    But I definitely suggest trying this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was hard for me to write a review for this book because there was so much I did and did not want to say. It's a story that sucks you in and holds on until the end, and one I am not going to forget anytime soon.

    I think you worded it nicely and I am glad you liked the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It does seem like a really difficult book to read, but it sounds absolutely fantastic. It's such an interesting and disturbing subject to write about. I'll definitely be reading this one now. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great review. When this becomes available in the US, I'll be sure to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book was absolutely amazing and left me speechless glad you liked it also :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. haven't read the book but this review was amazing! can't wait to read the book

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!