Friday, November 5, 2010

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce



Photobucket

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.


I don’t read many retellings but after this book, I feel like I should continue with more. Sisters Red (if you haven’t guessed it), is a great, modern twist on the old tale of Little Red Riding Hood. Which means yes, the wolves are the bad guys in this one and not some romantic love interest. Refreshing already, right?


The story is told through alternating chapters of each sister, which I thoroughly enjoyed because it allows the reader a chance to see the characters from different angles depending on whose point of view you're reading from. And not only do you get to know more about the well developed characters that way, but more about Scarlett, Rose and Silas’s way of life as well and how they really feel about it.


Another thing I enjoyed was the fact that Rosie and Scarlett kicked some serious butt. They were fierce, strong hunters; characters that I wish I could see more of in YA.


Overall, I really liked this novel. Jackson Pearce wove together a great, fresh tale of love, friendship and sisterhood. And following your heart.


I definitely recommend picking up a copy!



Rating:





Briana


7 comments:

  1. I loved it too! Have you seen the cover of SWEETLY - a companion to SISTERS? I have it on my blog somewhere.

    Good review!


    Jen @ I Read Banned Books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, I just saw the cover this week! I think I commented on that post of yours too. Haha I can't wait for that book.

    And thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually didn't know that this book was a retelling. Little Red Riding Hood was one of my favorite stories growing up so I think I'll have to pick this book up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise it was a fairytale retelling. My friend who doesn't read a lot of modern YA recommended this one and the Red Riding Hood link makes it even more appealing. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarlett & Rosie definitely kicked and I loved them for that! Sisters Red was such a good book. I can't wait to read Sweetly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok I have seen this book all over but never really knew what it was about so THANKS for the review!! If i had known what this was about I may have put it on a tbr list sooner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, is this one similar to Wicked the one where the wicked witch tells the story of the "Wizard of Oz" from her perspective? There is also another one where Toto tells the story. Sound interesting....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!