Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


Photobucket

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets √Čtienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, √Čtienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?



There was a lot of hype surrounding this book, so much that it came to the point where I felt there was just no way I was going to enjoy it as much as everyone else was claiming they had. I was wrong.


Anna and the French Kiss is one of the best--if not the best--contemporary YA books I’ve ever read. Or just one of the best books in general. And it was also so much more than what it’s lovely cover makes you expect. Sure, it’s a love story, but it was fun, adventurous, realistic and not at all cheesy. And a fantastic coming of age story.


Anna was one of the best characters whose point of view I’ve had the most pleasure reading from. She was everything a great main character should be. And St. Clair? Well, he was everything we all want a male character to be. Sa-woon. It’s been said before, but the best part of the story was how Perkins developed Anna and St. Clair’s relationship. There are so many books that focus on a girl that instantly falls for a guy, spends the entire book pining over him, blah blah blah, but this wasn’t the case. Sure, some of those stories are great but in the end they’re all the same: What I end up liking most about them is their ending. Because that’s when everything and everyone comes together and makes the book worthwhile; we get a Happily Ever After of some sort. In this novel however, Anna and St. Clair grew close throughout the story in the sweetest, most subtle way that not only was refreshing, but it made the entire story wonderful because we got to actually see for once how a relationship truly develops--something most books today lack.


The supporting cast was also just as fabulous and I could easily see myself becoming friends with all of them (minus Amanda obviously) and the vivid writing was nothing short of superb--I could actually see the city and smell the food as if I were alongside Anna.


Stephanie Perkins is definitely an author I’m keeping my eye on. Her next book Lola and the Boy Next Door a companion to Anna and the French Kiss, is due out later this year and I for one, cannot wait!


Rating:





8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of someone who's less-than-loved this book. It's so amazing! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this! It has such great reviews, l will definitely try to read it this year =)
    Books For Company

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one too! So refreshing to not have vampires in a story! ;) I need to write my review...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard soooo many good things about this book! I will read it eventually!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I just got my copy in the mail the other day & am so excited to read it (after I finish my current stack of books)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been hesitant to read this one because I thought it would be too girly, but I've heard amazing things about it. I guess I need to give a chance after all :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I literally haven't seen one negative comment about this book. Crazy! I really need to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New follower-love your blog! Would love for you to stop by and say hi if you get a chance!

    Kristin@ MyBookishWays

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!