Thursday, February 17, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.



Honestly, I’m not much of a Sci-Fi fan. In fact, the closest I’ve ever come to reading Sci-Fi was The Host by Stephenie Meyer and believe it or not, I actually loved it. So when I first saw this cover and read its synopsis, I was intrigued. I’m all about broadening my horizons (well, as far as reading is concerned) so this book instantly became one of my most anticipated books of this year.


First of all, if there’s one book that should be awarded Best First Chapter Ever (you know, if there actually was such a thing), it should be Across the Universe. And if that chapter didn’t hook you or at the very least, grab your attention, I’m not really sure what will. However, unfortunately for me, after that chapter, my attention drifted and I found myself forcing my mind to focus. Thankfully, after about 100 pages, the story started picking up again and the remainder of it easily made up for the slow beginning.


The characters for the most part, were likable and convincing and pretty much what you’d expect from a bunch of people who’ve lived there entire lives in space (talk about claustrophobic!). I think it's safe to say it wasn’t always pretty. One thing that did bother me though, was that I knew who the villain was almost instantaneously. I’ve said before that I’m pretty good at guessing endings (not gloating, by the way-it’s not something I’d brag about, it gets so darn annoying), but it was just too easy this time. Though, the twist at the end made me dismiss it entirely and made me think that Revis possibly intentionally did that? Hmm... Also, a character I wasn’t a fan of (surprisingly) was Amy. You’d think that for a person who had her life taken away and was thrown (or awoken?) into not so great circumstances, I’d sympathize with her, but no. She came off as just far too whiny for my liking and I often found myself rolling my eyes at things she’d do or the way she’d act.


To me, one of the best aspects of this book was the setting. I mean, imagine: a life on a ship forever; never breathing real oxygen, never knowing what an ocean looks like or what the sun feels like on your skin or even experiencing something as simple as going for a run or walking your dog. It was the world Beth Revis created that made Across the Universe the unique read it was. From how the people lived and functioned and how the ship operated, to all the crazy-cool technology! It definitely took some brains and creativity to come up with everything, so kudos for that, Revis.


Overall, this was an interesting read and definitely not the sort of book I'm used to, but I'm glad I read it. Though, I just want to add that this gorgeous cover may be a bit misleading as there really was no actual love story and the main focus was more on the mystery of who the villain was. And if I had to guess, that might have some part in why I didn't give it the full four stars--the sick sap in me just wasn’t fully satisfied. But hey, a good book is a good book, I guess. Regardless of no kissing.



Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Wow no kissing? With a cover like that? I'm shocked! I'm reading this book right now and I'm not yet halfway through but I'm liking it so far! I've read lots of reviews saying people could figure out the villain right away so I think I'm probably on the right track with my guess too.... Can't wait to see how it ends though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is still on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia: Well, there was SOME kissing. lol But it wasn't much, is my point. I hope you enjoy it! :)

    Cari: Ooo definitely tell me what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the setting totally ROCKED! and i thought for a book so focused on mystery, the mystery didn't really blow me away... but yeah overall it was good :) awesome review briana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sci-fi element in some of these more recent books, like 0.4 which I just read recently. I am really looking forward to reading Across the Universe. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it quite as much as you thought. We can't all like the same things though. I prefer this kind of thing to mushy kissy stuff lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book. What a feat, to make illustrating the thoughts of someone who is trapped in a frozen suspension coma for a good deal of the book into an interesting part of the story.
    I thought there would be a wee bit more romance... not that there wasn't any - there's definitely an awesome tension between the two main characters. And, the life situation they find themselves in is so intense, honestly, I thought it was more realistic that they wouldn't be focused on getting into a relationship right away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first chapter made me cringe! I was scared to keep reading lol I agree though, the setting is amazing! I am not a claustrophobic person, but this book made me hate small spaces. It also made me appreciate some of the small things I take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Slowest Bookworm: Yeah, I'm just a weird sap. Which IS weird, because I'm not like that IRL. I guess my reading makes up for that..? haha

    Madigan: Honestly, I agree. I definitely thought it was realistic all things considered, but figured since the cover implied it, there would be more romance worked in somehow. I just think the blueprint cover is more fitted for it, I guess. :)

    Steph: Thank you, Steph. <3

    Lindsi: I'm actually claustrophobic, so every time the air was described as "stale" or I thought about how the people were only allowed to be on certain levels, it was horrible. lol It made me very queasy. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review of Across The Universe! New follower (I think I did it right!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Kristina! You did it right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good it wasn't just us! We felt almost exactly the same way as you did. So yay, haha, good review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!