Friday, February 11, 2011

Where She Went by Gayle Forman


Where She Went by Gayle Forman

It's been three years since the devastating accident ... three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.





If I had to pick a book that I believed didn’t need a sequel, it would without a doubt, be If I Stay. It's one of my favorite books; it was moving, thought-provoking and above all, hopeful. And what I loved most about it was its ending. Some people didn’t, I get that; some wanted more, others were just confused and ultimately didn’t know whether Mia decided to stay or not. I on the other hand, so greatly appreciated the conclusion- it was perfect. Yet, I still so badly wanted more and long after reading, often found myself thinking about the characters and after all they went through, where they’d eventually end up, how they’d end up. Thankfully, Gayle Forman apparently couldn’t stop thinking about them either and I lucked out.


Told from Adam’s perspective, Where She Went is one beautifully blunt novel. Through flashbacks and memories, the time blanks are filled in for us and we get to experience first-hand the grief, love and loss Adam has dealt with throughout the three years since the accident; three years since Mia broke his heart. Until the night when both of them are brought together.


At first I didn’t know if it was possible to enjoy this book as much as If I Stay. If you’re thinking the same thing, rest assured that I loved this one even more. And that says a lot. Where She Went is one of those books that you simply don’t want to end. There are a lot of great novels out there and even some of my favorites didn’t make me feel the way Where She Went did. With each page turned, I caught myself reading slower and slower, relishing each word, not wanting to come to the final pages, and at the same time, desperately wanting to know what was going to happen and how it was all going to end.


Overall, it was everything Adam and Mia lovers could hope for and more. Their story was a tragic, heartbreaking, and in the end, inspiring one. And even now that it's come full circle, it's still one that I won't soon forget.



5 comments:

  1. I want to tell you again how GORGEOUS your new layout is! I love it :)

    Awesome review! If I Stay was such a moving book, and I want Where She Went to live up to my expectations. I thought the ending to If I Stay was perfect. It just fit.

    However, I am glad that there is a continuation! I'm eager to see what Adam's thoughts are and have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this last week and loved it! I, too, was worried about how it would live up to If I Stay! But it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the new layout. I need to read the first book because I hear great things about Gayle Forman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read the first one! I got it in my TBR pile, but yeah, I can't wait for it.
    :D
    Love the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait for this book. I loved If I Stay. I'm glad it's just as good. Did you cry as much?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!