Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bumped by Megan McCafferty


Bumped by Megan Mccafferty
When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to bring Melody back to Goodside and convince her that “pregging” for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common. 



I think everyone has a handful of authors that are must-reads--you know, the select few that can do no wrong in your eyes? Well, along with Cabot and Dessen, Megan Mccafferty is among my top picks. The Jessica Darling series is without a doubt, one of my favorites ever, so when Mccafferty announced she was coming out with an “official” YA release and a dystopian at that, I pretty much flipped. (Rilly.)
Having seen a few mixed reviews prior to reading, I was a bit nervous for Bumped. Thankfully, my excitement outweighed my hesitance and I immediately tore through it (even though I should currently be straining my brain studying for finals!).
Now, I‘m not getting into details or anything plot-wise because part of what I loved most about this story was going into it not at all knowing what to expect and figuring everything out on my own, BUT I will say that I absolutely loved it. Though it’s obviously different from Jessica Darling’s world (and ours), faithful fans will definitely recognize and appreciate the dynamic parts of Megan Mccafferty’s storytelling and what makes it so great.

In true Mccafferty style we get a cast of memorable, annoying, snarky and of course, lovable characters. And they are just that--characters. Melody is practical and a no-nonsense girl who is set on the goal she’s worked her entire life towards; Zen was everything a girl could want in a best friend- smart, funny, charming, loyal and of course, cute; Harmony... Well, you know that typical sitcom character that’s so annoying, yet hilarious you can’t help but love them? Well, that was Harmony (in the beginning, at least); and then Jondoe, who is your typical playboy/manwhore and yet... something else altogether. These four, along with an entertaining supporting cast including mass quantities of pregnant teens (some friends, some enemies) and a band of Cheerclones (Clueless Crew anyone?) who aspired to be pregnant teens, make Bumped a sure stand-out not just among the whole lot of dystopians, but YA novels in general.


All in all, despite being a “dystopian”, Bumped was ultimately the first half of a great coming-of-age tale (set in extraordinary circumstances, of course), holding the evertrue message to fight for what you believe in.




Bumped will be released Tuesday, April 26th and is the first book in a two-book series. And I will be anxiously awaiting book two to see how it all concludes!


Photobucket


P.S. I know some have stated the slang and most of the terms used caused some confusion, but I didn't have nearly as much trouble as most of these people seemed to. While I admit the lingo takes some time and a few pages to get used to, it was smooth sailing after that. Though it may be because I'm quite used to innuendo and slightly inappropriate puns... hehe. Either way, don't let it sway you from reading. It should in fact, do the opposite and make you love it even more. Plenty of LOL moments here. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I really want to read the Jessica Darling series and have heard amazing things about McCafferty! Bumped is on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds pretty amazing and can't wait for it to turn up on my Kindle on release day :) Great review Bree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on the lingo, it didn't take me that long to figure out either.

    Plus, I never did make the connection between cheerclones and clueless clue, but wow, good thinking.

    Glad you loved Bumped too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!