Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Die For Me by Amy Plum





Die For Me by Amy Plum



My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?


Die For Me had a very unique setup, but the outcome fell a bit flat for me. This could have been a great, original story with the uniqueness of revenants along with their lore and history, but unfortunately, it was just another paranormal romance a la Twilight, only without the vampires. Plus, I expected it to be a bit darker due to Kate's family tragedy, but I found it to be a pretty light read instead.

The setting might have been what I loved best about the book. Plum is descriptive without being boring, and combine that with the fact that this book takes place in Paris and well, let's just say if there's anywhere I'd rather be right now, it's Paris.

Now I hope I don't sound too negative because overall, I really enjoyed it. Was it the start of some new, mind-blowing series? No, but it was a nice (if slightly predictable) addition to the genre, that any fan will joyfully gobble up. And though it's not exactly a new favorite, I'm interested to see what the second installment brings and will most likely be picking it up when it releases.

Also, keep in mind another reason for my indifference could be that I may in fact be getting too old and my days of YA Paranormal Romance lovin' are coming to an end. Either way, I hope you all still give this one a chance- I'd love to hear what you think!

Die For Me will be released May 10, 2011.


Reviews from people who loved it:



Sidenote/Cover comment: In case you didn't know, this had a cover change, with the original here. I have to say, while I understand the change (it's all marketing), I still love the first one more and think it better suits the story. Thoughts?




P.S. Remember, Amy Plum will be at select cities from The Dark Days of Supernatural Tour, so if you're in the area, you should definitely check it out!

6 comments:

  1. l don't really get the first book, she only goes in a boat towards the end? Unless l am forgetting something big. I love the new one! My favourite colour too!
    I loved this book, l agree that her description of Paris never becomes boring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the only significance the first cover has is towards the end of the book. But I think it works better since the new cover has pretty much nothing to do with the book at all; it's just a pretty picture.

    Glad you liked it, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really liked this book. I loved the setting and the relationship the main character had with her family. Plus...the boys had great names. Vincent, Jules, Ambrose... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new cover, it's the main reason I bought it (still waiting for it to be shipped). I'm a bit worried now that you didn't like it and though it was a bit Twilight, as I hate books like that. I had a similar problem with Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon, that could have been good but just got worse and worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, bummer that you didn't love it. :/ Oh well. I'll definitely still be picking it up. The author is coming here next month - I have to get it! :)

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with ComaCalm, the new cover looks better than the old one, which suggests something darker. I understand that Twilight is such a phenomenal sensation that people can't help but comparing other books with it, but I think Die For Me is actually quite good in it's own way. If you have time, please check out my review HERE.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!