Saturday, July 23, 2011

Random, Stupid (read at your own risk) Update

So, July is nearly over and I can't believe how fast this summer is flying by. NOT FAIR! And just how behind I am with this blog. Apart of me knows I needed the time away to rest, get an actual social life, yada yada yada, but my other stern half is scolding myself for not sticking with the pace. Though, if I have to give you an excuse, I blame Mr. Potter. Yep, The Mr. Potter.

This summer was a big one for me. Not only was the movie franchise that I've grown up with ending (which was the last bit of freshness we had left of the book series), but I'm also turning THE BIG 2-0 in a matter of days. Talk about frightening. So call it cowardly and/or ridiculous, but I decided to spend the past two months burying myself in nostalgia of my teen years all the way back to my childhood. Of course rereading the entire Harry Potter series was at the top of the list, which I must say, is what got me behind on all 200 books in TBR pile. (Yikes- that number looks even worse typed out than it sounded in my head...)

ANYWAY, despite my online absence, I wasn't completely out of the loop on all things bookish. If you follow me on twitter, you've most likely seen more OHHing/AHHing/WTFFFing (among other things) than you'd like, but just in case you didn't, I'm going to recap the most important.


5. Borders Closing
Even though I wasn't a regular Borders customer, this store's closing makes me wonder how it'll effect readers/authors/publishers/anyone else in the publishing business everywhere. Not to mention their former employees who are now jobless. Sad! :(

4. The Austin Teen Book Festival
On to some happier news... If you live anywhere near Austin, TX, October 1st is the date to mark on your calendar. I was unable to attend last year's Teen Book Fest, but I'm over it now that I've seen this year's line-up. I'm talkin' Scott Westerfeld, Maureen Johnson, Stephanie Perkins, David Levithan, Andrea Cremer, Jenny Han, Simone Elkeles AND MANY MORE! Seriously, you guys, I don't think I need to tell you that I'm going to be one big ole' giant fangirl that day.


3. Spell Bound cover
Rachel Hawkins's Hex Hall series is one of my all-time faves, and when this cover was revealed.... well, as expected, I squealed like a little schoolgirl. This story is not only one of the best in this genre, but each of these covers are exceptionally well done (imho). LoveloveLOVE the colors on this one and I cannot wait to read it. TEAM ARCHER 4EVA!!!


2. MY CHILDHOOD IS DEAD aka Harry Potter is over
Like many others I'm sure, I found myself walking out of the theater at 2:25 am thinking, WHAT NOW??? This was such an iconic (whether you like the books or not) series/franchise/fandom/etc. and I'm honestly just grateful to have experienced it all. RIP. :'(

P.S. Oh, and I loved the movie. There were many tears, as predicted.


1. Pandemonium cover AND synopsis (askjdhkjshfksdjghkseg!!!!!!!!!)
First off, the cover. Do I like? Yes. It's pretty and I'm glad I now have something fresh to look at when I stalk its Goodreads page everyday. Now, the summary. UM... Well, let's just say I had A LOT of feelings while reading those few paragraphs. Then I saw Lauren's response to readers' responses to it. And then I laughed.

Not to be rude, but I would never (EVER!) write to an author complaining about where it SOUNDS like their story is going. And you know what? I LOVE Alex as much as the next person. In fact, even more than you. I've only declared him my Ultimate (unfortunately)Fictional Husband Of All Time. And I don't throw that title around lightly. But in all seriousness, if you love the story so much, have some faith in the one who created it. And calm down. Oh, and wait until you've actually read the book to start having a fangirl anxiety attack. (I know, I might have to start taking my own advice... but at least I don't psychoemail authors! (...yet.))


So there ya have it! 
What bookish news excited YOU most this summer/lately?

7 comments:

  1. Aww LOl I loved that post Bree! I agree it is so sad that Harry Potter has come to and end, but for me it will all be rekindled in about 5 years time when my little boy is old enough to start reading the books and watching the films.

    It is such a shame about Borders. Ours closed last year and I was so sad :(

    I totally agree with your about Pandemonium. How can anyone be complaining about it already when they haven't even read the book yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet! And that's what I love about HP- it's such a timeless story that can be passed down for a long time.

    I haven't been to a Borders in a while... ever since my nearest Waldenbooks closed down, but it does stink. I know a lot of author events are held at Borders stores and now without the stores, I hope author signings will be okay.

    And yes- exactly! I think the people overreacting, were too caught up in how Delirium ended. (Like me, but I'm containing myself, which says a lot. ;) ) Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bree,

    Grieve. The teenage years over? What's left in life? Geriatric ward, that's what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D: <--My face at this moment. Grieving? Done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I didn't know about all the Pandemonium uproar... I just assumed Alex was dead and that Lena would be going forward in the next book without him... But I guess his "death" might not have been so clear, I have to go back and re-read it!

    And Harry Potter's not over for me. I still help moderate a HP site and will be all fan-girl about Pottermore (despite my old age and the fact I really shouldn't refer to myself as "girl" but not quite ready to claim "old lady").

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delirium's ending definitely makes you assume that's what's going to happen, but I think most of us just hope it'll go another way. Wishful thinking? Haha

    And that's a good way to look at it! We'll always have the books, movies and sites like yours to keep us happy at ANY age, girl or "old lady". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe people emails Lauren either!
    I have faith in her writing skills that it will be a great read.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!