Saturday, August 20, 2011

In My Mailbox - 20 (aka the age I now am Edition, wahhh)

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi of The Story Siren.

Exactly one week ago I turned 20 years old. And I still can't believe it's already been a whole week. My life is seriously speeding by, people! Anyway, last week as I was heading to my birthday dinner, I decided to swing by Borders (which happens to be my favorite Borders store since it's conveniently located right next door to my favorite theater, though not for long :'( ). I hadn't really planned on buying anything, but figured what the heck, a quarter of my life is over today, wahhh... (Can you tell I just love birthdays? Hah).

So, yeah. Onto the purchases....



Bought:

-Telling Christina Goodbye by Lurlene McDaniel
-The Angels Trilogy by Lurlene McDaniel
Don't laugh. You guys should know by now that I'm a sad sucker for nostalgia and lemme say... my sixth grade self was hooked to these books like you have no idea. I lived off Lurlene McDaniel and her uncanny ability to make me want to crawl under my covers into the fetal position and mope even in my happiest moods. Good times! I plan to collect all my favorites eventually. (And in case you've never read a Lurlene McDaniel book and have no idea what I'm talking about above, just think: Nicholas Sparks for little ones. Yeah.)

-Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Sticking with my nostalgia kick, as I made my way across this in the hardly there YA section, I stumbled across this. And I squealed. In case you don't know (which, you probably don't because I've never told you), Stargirl is one of my favorite books OF ALL TIME. It was also one of the very first YA books I read and might possibly be the one to blame for my obsession now (which to me, is more than enough reason to love it). I had my own copy once upon a time ago, but have no idea where it is now. But I got this bad boy for 30% off and it is now sitting on my bookshelf. WOOO \o/ Read it if you know what's good for you.

-Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
It seems like everyone and their mother has nothing but amazing things to say about this book and author so I decided I needed to get with the program. Really excited to read it and I'm happy I got this cover- so pretty!

-The Giver by Lois Lowry
What so many people like to call the ~original Matched. I read The Giver back in eighth grade but can hardly remember anything, so I thought I'd have to do a reread at some point-- especially since I'm a dystopian freak. And since this is one of the most popular dystopians, as a fangirl, I think I need to cover all my bases. :P

-Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
This story looks amazing and heartbreaking. Go watch this video, but prepare to bawl your eyes out.

-Overbite by Meg Cabot
I guess I should've mentioned earlier that I went into the bookstore on a mission. And it was to get a Cabot book. It only seemed fitting in my mind to buy one for my birthday, on my birthday, since she and her books were such a part of my adolescence. (Sigh. I'm beginning to believe my mom when she says I'm too overdramatic...) Anyway, I don't even own Insatiable, nor have I read it, but it was the only Meg book there and I know because I checked the whole darn two-story store. :/
Hopefully I'll buy book one soon. If any of you have read it, let me know what you thought! I keep hearing mixed things that make my Cabot Fangirl ears burn.




Woot-woot! Hallelujah!! I usually never EVER win anything, but it looks like the world was taking pity on me and decided to make me happy.

Won:
-A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young (signed- eeek!)
I was supposed to read this one a looong time ago, but am now just getting started. I've heard/seen nothing but raving reviews for it and though I'm only a few chapters in-- so far, so good.

Thank you, Suzanne!!!!




I've also received a few books for review recently, which I'm so excited for.

Review:

-All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
A chocolate dystopian? Heck yeah! Though, I may be biased because I hate chocolate and can do without caffeine, so this actually sounds like a world I could survive. :D

-Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Some say this is another Across the Universe type book, but as I was sort of on the fence about that one, I'm interested to see what the differences are. Love the cover too!

-The Death Catchers by Jennifer Ann Kogler
I've been interested in Arthurian legend since reading Avalon High, and this sounds pretty darn cool.


Thank you, Macmillan and Bloomsbury!!!!


So, that's about it. What did YOU get in your mailbox?


21 comments:

  1. I loved STARGIRL! Did you read the second book, Love, Stargirl? I also found Shades of Gray quite riveting.

    Great reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great books!! =D A Need So Beautiful is sooo good! And I am excited to read Glow and All These Things I've Done. Enjoy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your Borders finds! I absolutely loved THE GIVER and still like to re-read it every couple of years. And you are totally right about it being the original MATCHED!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great books. I hope you enjoy each one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love and will always love Star Girl :) forever and always that book <3

    My Mailbox :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Meg Cabot! I featured the artist that was responsible for the cover of A Need So Beautiful but have not read it yet. I will be sure to watch for your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books! I actually just received All These Things...as well!! I cant wait to read it! Enjoy! :)

    My IMM
    http://wordsareinnermusic.blogspot.com/2011/08/in-my-mailbox-non-vlog-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. All These Things I've Done and Glow look absolutely brilliant. Enjoy all your books :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome books! Congratulations on your win :)

    I only downloaded The Giver for my Kindle a couple of weeks back as I've never read it. I'm looking forward to Glow being released. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great books and well done on your win, it's always a great feeling! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Stargirl! I have that book and Love, Stargirl. I should reread them soon.

    Alison atThe Cheap Reader

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome books, Bree!! :D Hope you enjoy them! My IMM is here! Happy Reading,

    ~Zakiya LadyWings :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so many great books I don't even know where to start!! LOVE Meg Cabot! I can't wait to read All These Things I've Done. I'll be back to read your review. :) And Stargirl sounds awesome! Enjoy your books this week!! :)

    BTW I love your blog layout. It's beautiful! :)

    Lisa @ Lost in Literature
    In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I turned 20 this week too! It's not fun. :(
    Very jealous of The Death Catchers and All These Things I've Done, I can't wait to get those! Happy reading! :D

    ComaCalm's IMM

    ReplyDelete
  15. An awesome week! I LOVED All These Things I've Done and I really can't wait to read Glow :)
    Check out My IMM

    Mia @ Gripped into Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the years go by faster and faster as you go. :) I read The Giver years ago, depressing. ha Between Shades of Gray I cried through the promo video the author did. I haven't been able to bring myself to read it. My IMM: http://bit.ly/mQagjq

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol, aw! I know how you feel! I had my birthday last week and even if I'm only 19 yet, I can't believe how fast it goes! I still remember how old people over 18 was. Happy belated birthday! I decided to spoil myself pretty much too and have had two huge IMMs now with more to come!

    I really like the look of your books! I haven't seen all before, but they seem good. I really hope they are!

    My IMM can be found here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to read All These Things and Glow!! Awesome books this week. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you enjoy Between Shades of Grey. It's sat in my TBR pile and I really should get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great books :)

    Have a great week,

    Rachel @ Fictional Fantasy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!