Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin 

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. 
There is. 
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. 
She's wrong.



Ok, just so you know, I’d rather not start off this intro as a crazy fangirl, but honestly, when has that stopped me before. Sometimes my swimfan tendencies have a mind of their own. And this one of those times. (Joking! Kind of.) Basically, my mind = blown is what I'm trying to say.
Let’s start from the beginning!
As soon as I heard of this book, I was intrigued. Not because of what it was about, but instead, because I knew nothing at all of what it was about. Confused? Yeah, I was too.
The synopsis is obviously pretty vague, but it was more than that. None of us were even sure what YA sub-genre it fell into. Was it a contemporary novel about a girl coming to terms with her best friends’ deaths? Was it a mystery, with the story focusing on how the accident happened? Or was it paranormal, as the first chapter leads you to believe? I was stumped. And really curious. 

And I think this-more than anything-was the reason I was itching to find out what exactly was going on up in those pages. 

What I found, did not disappoint. 

I know this has been said a million times over, but there really is no way to explain much about this book, without taking away the suspense and all around essence of it for you. This is definitely one of those less-is-more cases; the less you know about it, the more I'm sure you're going to love reading it. So I shall remain tight-lipped (Trust me, it’s hurting me more than you. If I had my way, I’d be rambling your ears off).

All you need to know is that it didn’t let me down. Hodkin is definitely a true talent. First off, her characters. Mara was actually a (wait for it...) character I LOVED. Her sarcasm and dry wit made her extremely likable, relatable, and well-rounded. You know there’s nothing I dislike more than a cardboard cut-out character and I’m happy to say, she couldn’t have been further from that. As for the rest, GET THIS: we actually get a CAST of characters. I feel like so many YA books today often ignore everyone besides the MC and the love interest and well, again, not a problem here! Parents are actually present (Did you gasp? I did.) and Mara even has a pretty good relationship with them, and her two brothers. 

Now, the writing. Will I be gushing too much if I said it was nothing short of amazing? I DON’T CARE. The writing was fantastically authentic and extremely well done. Michelle sure has a knack for stringing words together; one minute the creepy factor was through the roof and the next, I was swooning and flailing like a little freakin' schoolgirl. 

Speaking of swooning, the romance! Or better yet, Noah Shaw. I’m one of those people that believe some things are better left to the imagination, so I’ll be evil and let you ponder why he’s got everyone’s panties in a twist (maybe literally, I wouldn’t doubt it... (is that TMI?)). Just know that this romance is HOT, and if there’s anything it’s NOT (haha), it’s for the very best, like 1.) no ~instaluv~ 2.) nothing's forced or overdone, and 3.) no cheesiness here! (...Annnd I think I just eliminated half the YA section with that list.)


All crazy/freaky stanning aside, my point is this: 


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is an exceptionally impressive YA novel and an even more so debut. Thrilling, unique, and imaginative, it's completely unputdownable and will--no doubt--have you on the edge of your seat, eager to see how it all unravels. And once you've turned the last page, you will be screaming for the sequel! I know I am! With Noah wrapped in a big bow to go along. ;)





The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer will be released September 27th and I expect you all to be first in line at your local bookstores with it in hand, OR better yet, do yourself a favor and pre-order NOW.


***

Extra random outtakes: 

-OMFG THIS COVER. I want to marry it. I am buying prints asap. 

-There’s been plenty of hype for Mara (more so recently), but I think a book like this--with a synopsis as unclear as this one--getting the hype it has, is pretty impressive. So if you avoid hyped-up books, DON’T. Or at least make Mr. Noah Shaw your exception. You’ll thank me.

-Kind of sort of slightly spoilerish, highlight to read. Ok, all this talk on twitter about  alligators had me: o.0 before reading. When I actually got to that part in the book I wondered, “Is this it?” It was crazy, sure, but I really don’t know what all the hoopla was about with that, honestly. Tell me if I’m missing something here.

-Michelle is my new BFF4EVA. 



4 comments:

  1. Lol. I totally know how it feels when you're tempted to go all fangirly over a book. It's a great feeling, isn't it! It's been awhile since I've had that feeling, but who knows? Maybe this book will do it for me. I've been reading a lot of great reviews about it recently!

    Stopped by from the Saturday Situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this review! I'm soooo excited to hopefully soon read this... :) Thanks for just reaffirming my feelings about wanting to read it lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Natalie - I SO hope it "does it" for you! I'm almost guaranteeing everyone who has awesome taste will love it. (I hope!) And if not, then MORE NOAH FOR ME! >:)

    @Sierra - YAY! So glad to hear this! Definitely let me know what you think once you've read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really can't wait to read this!!!!! Great review, you made me crave for this book even more haha :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!