Friday, January 20, 2012

Saving June by Hannah Harrington



Saving June by Hannah Harrington
When her older sister commits suicide and her divorcing parents decide to divide the ashes, Harper Scott takes her sister's urn to the one place June always wanted to go: California. On the road with her best friend, plus an intriguing guy with a mysterious connection to June, Harper discovers truths about her sister, herself and life.



There aren’t many books nowadays that blow me away. Actually, they’re few and far between. Sometimes however, I get lucky and am taken by surprise. This is totally one of those times.


The concept of this story may seem familiar and basic enough--girl’s sister commits suicide, girl has no clue why, speculation and ~self-discovery~ ensues, right? Well, not exactly. There is speculation and there is a whole lot of self-discovering here, but fortunately, it was done in a completely un-cliche way.


If you know me, you know that I consider characters to be the biggest factor in a great book. They either make or break my enjoyment of the story. That said, I can't tell you how much I loved getting to know every one of these characters! Harper, Jake, Laney and even June, were some of the most real and fleshed out characters I've read. They made mistakes, they had their flaws and quirks, but it only made them that much more... true.


Still not sold? 

Well, if you're looking for that little extra Oomph that sets it apart from all the rest and you're a music fan, you are in luck, my friend! Being a kind of sort of music junkie, I love books that incorporate music, and more than that, I love books that include music without going overboard and FALALALAILUVANDKNOWGOODMUSIC-in-your-face. Saving June has just the right balance for music lovers to enjoy, while also keeping not-so-music-crazy people unannoyed. I also love that the story is pretty reflective of the music featured and is not just thrown in randomly; it ties in well. (Also, the real playlists from the book are included in the back, which I thought was a nice, fun addition.)

With the perfect blend of adventure, romance, and growing up, Saving June is definitely one of the best contemporaries--heck one of the best books, PERIOD--that I’ve read in a while. If Hannah Harrington has managed to do what many long-time authors fail to do with just her debut, I can’t wait to read what she writes up next! Definitely an author to look out for.




1 comment:

  1. After I finished the book, I went and youtubed every song mentioned in the playlist in the back! I loved this book that much, I didn't just set it down to be forgotten! I agree with you though, characters DO make or break the book. Because characters are the things that can make the most cliche, unoriginal plot great so characters are the main thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it:D

    Racquel @ The Book Barbies♥
    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!