Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green


The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.




Ok, there’s no way for me to say anything that hasn’t already been said about this story, but I’m going to share my thoughts on it, regardless. 
Essentially, this is a book--few and far between--that makes you remember why you fell in love with reading in the first place. There aren’t many authors who I feel just... get it. Like Hazel, I’m pretty sure John Green is to all of us, what Van Houten was to her. (Only, you know, not a douche.)
This was so much more than a “cancer” book and different from anything dealing with cancer that I’ve seen or read. It was honest, it was raw, and it was... true. It showed how this disease not only affects the person it physically consumes, but everyone that has to see the consuming.
And, like I said, though cancer was the very reason for everyone’s hardships, the relationships in this book were the dominant element of the story and were probably the most authentic that I’ve ever read. From Hazel and her parents, to Augustus and Isaac, and of course, Hazel and Augustus... I don’t think I’ve ever felt relationships to be poignant and uplifting at the same time. Until them.
If you’re on the fence with this one, or still have yet to read it, just do it. Now.



A 2012 favorite!

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO happy you loved this one! You're so right about it being true and how John Green is all of our Van Houten (minus the jerky-ness!) Like you, I also loved the relationships! Issac was such an awesome character!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!