Tuesday, June 19, 2012

This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers

One of the best covers ever. Bravo, cover designer!

This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers
It’s the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won’t stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self.

To Sloane Price, that doesn’t sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she’s failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up. As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she’s forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually want to live.

But as the days crawl by, the motivations for survival change in startling ways and soon the group’s fate is determined less and less by what’s happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life—and death—inside.

When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?



I’m not sure about you all, but this past winter just felt... incomplete to me. I wasn’t exactly sure what was off until I found myself without a Summers book throughout the holiday break. You see, reading Courtney’s latest has become sort of a tradition for me, ever since picking up Cracked Up To Be over three (omg 3? WHAT?!) years ago.

I’ve been waiting for this one for quite a while and well, people, it was definitely worth the wait.
This Is Not A Test is being pegged as the Breakfast Club with zombies and it kind of makes me want to hug the genius that came up with that comparison because it is totally accurate.

I don’t particularly consider myself a zombie fan. The Walking Dead and Shaun of the Dead, sure--love, but anything other than those, not really. I’ve even tried and failed at reading/loving a few books, including The Reapers Are the Angels and The Forest of Hands and Teeth. They weren’t my thing. Maybe I just love the whole idea of a zombie apocalypse more than the reality of it, which I guess you can’t blame me for...
 

Anyway, I figured if there's one person who can turn me into a zombie fanatic, or at the very least, make me love a zombie book, it's Courtney Summers. And she totally did.

What I liked about This Is Not A Test was the uniqueness of it. Zombies weren’t the main focus. Besides the whole not-so-dead-people-want-to-eat-us dilemma, there’s another, and another, and another. Each of the characters has something they’re personally struggling with and as time goes by, it’s clear that the danger isn’t only outside. There's only so much confinement one can take and when it becomes more than they can handle, they start to crack. Which goes to show that you can only run from your problems for so long, but when there's nowhere else to go, finally facing them can get ugly.

What I liked best about this story is what I like most in every Courtney Summers novel--they all include real people with real issues, which in turn, made the zombie thing that much more realistic. (I don't scare easily, but reading this definitely had me on edge for a while.)

I also loved that it wasn't your typical tale about trying to survive, but wanting to.

This Is Not A Test is a creepy--and at times, totally chilling--zombie story done with a Summers spin. Love love love!




This Is Not A Test is officially in stores today, so BUY IT.


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I really like this review - and am very very excited to read this book. I keep hearing the best of the best things about it. Courtney Summers sounds like an excellent writer and though I'm not a zombie fan (sounds like neither were you), I'm willing to give it a try! :D

    Great review!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read
    www.yearningtoread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!