Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters Who Remind Me of Myself

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish




If you know me, you know that I love character driven stories- they're just what make or break the book for me, plain and simple. So this week's list is a compilation of characters I sort of kind of identify with, or have at one point or another, at least.

1. Remy - This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
My favorite Dessen character from my favorite Dessen book. To this day, I firmly believe picking up this book at the exact time I did was total fate. There really is no other way to explain it. It was at a particular time in my life where I was very... cynical. (To say the least.) Relationships all around me seemed to be falling apart in every which way I turned and that definitely left an impression on me. Which is why I bought this book after reading the back, learning that this main character wasn't so typical, but instead a hard-ass cynic; I was intrigued. And this is going to sound totally hallmark, but reading this honestly helped me a lot. To have someone to relate to and who seems to understand you completely--fictional or not--was... nice. And it definitely gave me perspective. 

2. Anna - Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Anna is awesome just for the fact that she actually has a personality and loves stories as much as I do! In movie form sure, but still! (Did I ever mention how much I wanted to study film a while back?) Plus, I think most of us can identify with her boy troubles. Liking someone that you reeeally shouldn't, but can't help it and to make matters worse, he seems to like you too, but doesn't do anything about it? Been there, done that. Sigh.

3. Amy - Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott
To avoid getting all black-hole deep with you, I'll just say that throughout the story Amy is coming to terms with her best friend's death and how their closeness wasn't as great as she'd like to believe. Realizing that someone who had such an influence on you was more of a negative than a good thing is hard, especially when that person was supposed to be the one person you could count on.

4. Sam - Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Samantha is what I like to call the mean girl with depth. I'd like to think I'm a good person; I don't lie, cheat, steal; I say please and thank you, and I always try to be as considerate as possible. That said, I definitely wasn't an angel growing up. I mean, I wasn't as bad as Samantha and her friends but some of the crap they pulled... I could definitely relate to. She does a lot of growing up throughout the book, much like I've done throughout the past few years, which now that I think about it, probably has something to do with how this book was able to evoke such a response from me. Yep, Lauren Oliver made me cry. BIG deal.

5. Jessica Darling - Sloppy Firsts by Megan Mccafferty
I think most Jessica Darling fans find something in Jessica that they see in themselves. Honestly, that's probably one of the reasons most of us can read from her perspective. She's not exactly the most likeable or pleasant character, but that's what makes her so great: she says exactly what all of us once thought of ourselves, about our peers, school, hometown, etc. I only wish I was just as smart, ha!


1 comment:

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!