Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ten by Gretchen Mcneil

Ten by Gretchen Mcneil

And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?


Sounds like an instant classic whodunit story for teens, right? How can you go wrong there?

Going into this one, I was expecting BIG things. It was one of my most anticipated reads of the year and I even featured it as my WoW a few months back. But while it was good, it could have been so much better and unfortunately, it didn’t leave me too impressed. 

The Good

Gretchen Mcneil wastes no time sucking you into the story from the get-go and from the very first chapter onwards, you’re on edge feeling like even you are being watched by the killer from within the pages. Mcneil does a good job with description and her writing was very atmospheric - I felt like I was stranded on an eery island right there with Meg and her friends.

I also loved that she poked fun at typical hollywood horror movie cliches throughout the book and had a number of the cast being POC. Yay for diversity! 

The... meh

I guess my biggest gripe with the book was its ending. I didn’t exactly see it coming, and usually that would be a good thing, but in this case it was only because my attention was constantly diverted to and from different situations and characters that I felt everything was just... all over the place. And really rushed. The killer wasn’t necessarily the problem, just the execution of unveiling him/her was. 

And the deaths! Don’t come into this book expecting to get invested in the characters and story so much that you’re actually going to care when someone dies. I didn’t. In fact, I was tallying deaths as if keeping score to a game that I just wanted to hurry up and... get better, bring on the action, keep my attention? You get the idea.

If you’re within the target audience and looking for a light murder mystery type of book, you’ve found it. Just don’t expect to discover some new mind-blowing plot twist to a story we haven't all seen or heard before.

Ten by Gretchen McNeil will be in stores September 18th.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest opinion! I'm not a big mystery girl (there are only a few - and I mean a FEW - that actually really get me). I definitely want to give this a go, but I'll be wary of the things you pointed out. ;)

    Love the review!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do want to read this book but not so sure anymore i wasnt something thats going to get me to read more and more and not sure this will ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - I'd suggest giving it a try if you like light YA paranormal/murdery type stuff. It just wasn't an AMAZING book, imo. There are tons of people who've been giving it 5-star reviews, though. I think I was just expecting so much, I ended up disappointed. Hype definitely hurts sometimes!

    Let me know if you do end up reading it - I'd like your opinion. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!