Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Peeves

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is a rewind, so I thought I'd complain to you about all the things that make me grind my teeth together. I know, how lovely, I think this will be fun times.

1. Love triangles. Ugh. Barf. Gag. Yes, I'm being a tad dramatic, but aren't alllll love triangles these days? This plot device is just so overdone by now, and often ruins books for me. Like, why do you gotta go and mess up a book that is perfectly fine? To all pubs out there (because you've all done it): WHERE/HOW do you come up with the idea that we all just LOVE, ADORE AND FLAIL over love triangles? Because I don't. And I know quite a number of readers and bloggers that do not enjoy them as well, and even pass on certain books altogether in order to avoid them. So where is this audience that you're catering to, huh? I DEMAND RECEIPTS.

2. Whiny characters. Major points lost if said brat is the MC. If I wanted to hear that, I'd not read and spend much more quality time with my two younger brothers.

3. Cheesiness. I'm one of those people that actually likes romance in their books, or at least has no problem owning up to it, however, some ~romantic storylines just do not do it for me. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry, for example. And Simone Elkeles. Mostly everyone raved and ranted over these books, so I fully expected to love them. Wrong. I found myself cringing over their dialogue so much, I started skimming because it was so cheesy and felt awfully unnatural to me. If you like those books, cool. But I've always been more of a fan of realistic YA contemps, and I don't think either of these fall under that category like I was told. But different strokes and all that.

4. Predictability. I pride myself in being pretty good at figuring out how storylines will go. Maybe I've just watched too many horror movies as a kid that I've trained myself, and have developed a natural ability to sense the twist in a story a mile (or uh, a hundred pages) away. But when a book's "twist" is so clear from the get-go that I don't even have to try, that's pretty bad. Which is why my love for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and Gone Girl is so great. Those books were so mind-effing, I didn't know what to even think, much less predict.

5. Long series. Two to four books in a series is fine. But when a series has more books than I've had years in my life, I can't help but think the author/pub is milking it by dragging it out for as long as humanly possible. There's a time to let go, and for most of these series, it's that time. So wrap it up!

Now, steering away from actual book content and more onto the technical stuff....

6. Grammatical errors. I am in no way perfect at grammar and punctuation - spelling, yes, ngl - so, when I notice mistakes, it's a big deal. I'm not trying to be snobby, but as a reader, having too many typos is a distraction from the story and is something that could definitely be avoided.

7. Cover/format changes mid-series. UGH. This gets to me. More so the format than the covers. One of the biggest uproars for a cover change I've witnessed was for Andrea Cremer's Nightshade series. Bloggers/readers were throwing fits everywhere, it was hilarious. I mean, I too, was much more partial to the older covers, but I thought Penguin handled it wonderfully and in an effort to calm everyone down, offered up dust jackets of the new cover (to place over the original) so that our HC copy of Nightshade would be matching the rest of the series. Format on the other hand, is a different matter. When a series has been getting released in paperback, but due to a rise in sales or an increase in fans, starts releasing in hardcover, ugh. Aggravating! On one hand, at least they're doing such a good job selling, they're STILL being released unlike a series I love, that was basically cut. Cara Lockwood's Wuthering High series is seriously awesomesauce, you guys. It's such a shame it didn't get as big of a following it deserved, because the fourth book never went to print. Instead, it's only available as an e-book. I actually have a kindle now and use it, but I'm one of those people that is definitely physical copies>>>>>>>>>>e-books. I WANT MY PRETTY PAPERBACK.

8. Dog-eared pages. I've been known to do this with textbooks or even library books, but when it comes to my own, after failing to find a bookmark or scrap piece of paper to use as a bookmark, I'll often find myself trying to commit the page I last read to memory, before even thinking of dog-earing. In fact, the thought has never even crossed my mind. That's how anal I am with my books.

9. Books that have been highlighted, marked, written on, etc. We've all done the crap out of this to textbooks. But when I see a fiction book all written, marked and scribbled on, I just sigh in pain. I like my books pretty and pristine!

10. When I buy books online and they come to me all beat up. ACKKK! Just GRRRR. Amazon has made an especially bad habit of doing this to me, I'm pretty sure their customer service and I are on a first-name basis. When I buy new books, I expect them to be, oh, I don't know... NEW. Here's a warning for those I buy from in the future, do this to me and I'M COMIN FOR YOU.


So those are a few ten things that grate on my nerves. Do we have any in common, or am I just a lunatic?

6 comments:

  1. Great list! I totally agree with you on the covers changing mid-series, it absolutely gets on my nerves! I like my book series to be uniform in cover and format xP

    Also, I totally agree that love triangles are so overdone these days as a tool in presenting conflict or an obstacle for a couple. I'm okay with it if the author handles it in a way that's not predictable or if it makes total and complete sense in the story (but still handled deftly) but otherwise no, I can't take it.

    Here's my Top Ten for this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think love triangles are kind of lazy (like there's no other way to add tension or something) not that I haven't enjoyed a few but they are so so common now and seriously whinny characters can totally ruin a book for me. great list!

    Marissa

    here's my my TTT (villains)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand long series either - which is the reason I'll never read the Sookie Stackhouse books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grammatical errors really annoy me in Dutch books, but I don't notice a lot in English books; I'm happy for it :p

    I can't stand changing covers! It totally messes up my shelves. I don't like dog-earing or books with text in/on it; I want mine to look like they are still new, even when I've read them a thousand times.
    Love triangles & whiny characters, I can't decide what I hate more.. I guess whiny, because sometimes a love triangle can work. With a lot of emphasis on sometimes.

    I love your list!

    TTT @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I'm with you on 1-4 especially, though sometimes I'm so into a book that the story becomes more about the journey and the twists are less important.

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-rewind-top-ten-bookish.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I can't read about another love story EVER AGAIN. That was ruined when the Twilight saga came out. I also agree on long series (with an exception for Harry Potter). When series have more than ten books, I instantly don't want to read them. (I did that with Gossip Girl, and it turned out to be a drag!) I could go on, but I'll just say I agree on 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 as well! :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!