Monday, November 19, 2012

Easy by Tammara Webber

Easy by Tammara Webber

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.


Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.


As a college-aged reader, I really love the whole concept of 'new adult' fiction. And with authors who've taken to penning some of my absolute favorites that can fall under this category, I've welcomed the latest surge of new adult titles with open arms. That said, unfortunately, not all of those I've come across I've loved.

This is a tough one for me to review simply because I didn't really hate it, nor did I love it. I was just... indifferent towards it. It's also hard because not only does everyone seem to love it, but it does contain some positive messages and themes for its targeted audience, and how can you be opposed to that?

Let's just start with what I liked!

The Good

Okay, on the one hand, I definitely see this book's appeal. Easy deals with pretty serious subject matter - issues I feel many girls can identify with, and even learn from. I loved the setting as well. I attended a public university my first two years of college and could almost picture it again exactly just from Webber's writing - she had the whole collegiate atmosphere down pat.

There weren't very many secondary characters, but I did really love Erin, Jacqueline's friend and roommate - she was a blast, and I found the pages she was present on, I enjoyed the most.

Though I didn't love the romance (more on that later), I found the romantic relationship to be authentic. Don't come in here expecting that just because these characters are in college, mishaps and dumb decisions won't be made because that's completely not the case. Yes, they're in college, but that doesn't mean they're suddenly mature adults - the relationship was still very high school to me, the whole hot-cold, 'does he or doesn't he like me?' sorta thing, which should definitely be expected from a girl freshly out of high school.

The... Not so good?

I started this novel off right. We get straight into the story, with its main focus introduced within the very first chapter. However, the more I read, the less I seemed to like the book and often found myself counting the pages I had left (which wasn't a good sign).

I understand the seriousness of Jacqueline's situation, but sometimes (or rather, a lot of the time) it felt very overdramatic. Yes, she was attacked and that's scary as hell, but towards the end, the conflict just felt like a plot device simply presented again and again for the sake of drawing in the hero to be her knight in shining armor. Even when Jacqueline takes up self-defense classes, is she focused on learning new moves to beat the heck out of any future guy that dares to prey on her? No, she's too busy trying to think straight and coherently because the love interest happens to be teaching the course. Convenient, right? Sigh.

Lastly, my final let down was a big factor of the book - which I believe also serves as the primary reason for the book's popularity - the romance. I love me some hot boys and swoony moments, sure, but the dialogue and interaction between Jacqueline and Lucas had me rolling my eyes on more than a few occasions. Plus (this is just personal preference), his description turned me off instantly - cowboy boots, tattoos and a lip piercing? No, I'm good. Yes, I am aware of how awful and shallow I sound. Also, hatehatehate cowboy boots - I'm such a bad Texan.

Final Thought

In the end, though I did love Easy's concept, the execution was a bit off to me. However, I do suggest giving it a shot, especially if you're into books that deal with thematic topics and contain overly cheesy romance such as Pushing the Limits and books by Simone Elkeles.



3 comments:

  1. I have heard about this book before, but never read it myself. Love the cover, maybe I`m gonna read this sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one major flaw of books like this is that the conflict is always going to be over-dramatic. It's not a subject that should be taken lightly or made fun of, but it's also hard to find a happy medium that conveys the seriousness without making it seem like the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!