Monday, December 31, 2012

End of the Year Book Survey 2012

This was a pretty good year for good books, so now that this year's over, it's time for the ultimate End of the Year Book Survey, created by Jamie from The Perpetual Page-turner.


Best book you read in 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
Well, by this point I'm sure I sound like a broken record yapping about the same books, even if they're some of my most favorites ever, so I'll break it down into genres because I like to cheat.

Sequel: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Debut: Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
Contemporary: tie between The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith and Meant To Be by Lauren Morrill
Paranormal(ish): tie between This Is Not A Test and Anna Dressed in Blood
Fantasy: tie between Throne of Glass and The Scorpio Races
Adult: Gone Girl

Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?
Definitely Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. Delirium is one of my favorite books, so I was extremely excited for book two, but... with a certain someone out of the picture and a certain someone in his place... it just fell a bit flat for me. I have loyalty issues, what can I say. That said, I've already read Requiem and I loved it. My lips will be sealed until I post my review in a few months. :)

Another letdown was Ten by Gretchen McNeil. I had high hopes for it and looooved the cover, but it didn't impress me at all. Same goes for Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan.

Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2012?
What I liked most about this year was the time I spent catching up on books I hadn't read that everyone else seemed to love. The Scorpio Races and Saving June were among them - loooved those two.

Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Definitely the Mara Dyer series, Gone Girl and Something Like Normal.

Best series you discovered in 2012?
I read and loved Kendare Blake's Anna duology and I finally read my copy of Under the Never Sky - sooo good!

Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
SO MANY. I'll divide them by my top five (in the order of which I read them).

Debut authors: Trish Doller, Lauren Morrill, Huntley Fitzpatrick
New-to-me authors: Siobhan Vivian, Melina Marchetta, Nina Lacour, Kirsten Hubbard, Jennifer E. Smith

Wooo! Go contemporary!!

Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Probably Gone Girl. It's not necessarily out of my comfort zone because I watch crime shows and movie thrillers and such, but I haven't read much adult fiction lately which is something I'm working on now that I'm, you know, an adult.


Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
I hate to be repetitive, but The Evolution of Mara Dyer. I read it straight through, in about six hours. SO GOOD.

Book you read in 2012 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
All my favorites, probably. I'm a big re-reader. Which is probably why I never make my reading goals for the year. I reread about 10 books a year, at least.

Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
I think Ten by Gretchen McNeil was excellently done, as was This Is Not A Test. For contemps, Meant To Be is mine and mostly everyone else's favorite.

Most memorable character of in 2012?
Puck from The Scorpio Races will definitely be with me for some time, as well as one of my favorite YA boys, Sean Kendrick.

G]Also, going to be as vague as I can... but, the main crazy in Gone Girl. Ah. You guys might think I'm crazy, but that character is seriously one of my favorites. You might hate him/her, but I loved them.

Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
This one is a 2013 release, but since I did read it this year, I'm including it: Just One Day by Gayle Forman. My gosh. It's not that often I find myself wanting 1238205858 copies of the same book so I can doodle in, highlight, bookmark, etc. but it's just that great. Even after I finished it, I would reread passages and pages over and over again because I couldn't believe how someone could manage to put into words how I've felt before. I cannot wait for everyone to read it next month.

Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
The books that impact me tend to do so in small ways, but sometimes those are the best ways. As someone that used to want to be a writer, books like Just One Day and Saving Francesca are the ones that fuel my passion for reading and books, and make me wish I could come up with a story half as good.

Something Like Normal, The Piper's Son and The Disenchantments are all books that contain a male narrative, and all are written by women as well. I personally know how hard a task this is to do, and they do it so seemingly effortless, it's amazing and I so admire them for it.

Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Melina Marchetta's books. I was always told that every contemporary lover should read her, so I finally did. Best decision ever.

Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2012?

- page 157, from Just One Day (ARC)


Shortest & longest book you read in 2012?
Shortest: Possibly Something Like Normal..? I'm too lazy to officially confirm it, but I'm 99% sure.
Longest: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to someone about it? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc, etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver, me (to myself) upon turing the last page: ASDFGHJKLKJHGFDSA I KNEW IT AHHHHHH

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, me (again, to myself) upon turning the last page: WTF?! NOOOOO AHHH NO. THAT. DID. NOT. HAPPEN. MY GOD DID THAT REALLY HAPPEN?!

I need more friends that read, clearly.

Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2012? (be it romantic, friendship, etc.
Even though the romance in The Scorpio Races wasn't a huge component of the book, Puck and her man Sean Kendrick had me swooning. Also, Sean and his horse Corr were so cute together. And that ending! Ah.

Favorite book you read in 2012 from an author you read previously?
This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers. I read everything by her and everything she writes is always excellent.

Best book you read that you read SOLELY based on a recommendation from somebody else?
Gone Girl. I was lost as far as picking up another YA book to read, when the hype for it became too much for me to overlook anymore, I bought it, and read it within 24 hours.


So that's it. Until next year, my book people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!