Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Auto-buy Worthy Topics



This week's list is a compilation of themes/topics that automatically deem a book worthy of purchasing at full price. At least for me.

1. Male POVs - See favorites, such as Where She Went and Something Like Normal

2. Unreliable narrators - Other favorites: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and Gone Girl

3. Witches - Self-explanatory. They are awesome.

4. Horror - R.L. Stine spoiled young Briana with his Fear Street series and I have not since been able to find a book/series as awesome in this department.

5. "Summer reads" - A la Dessen, Cabot, Echols, Scott, and... you get the picture. Don't let the "fluffiness" labels fool you. Total faves!

6. Mystery - I don't think YA has enough of these.

7. Revenge - Ditto to the above, which is why I cannot wait for this book and this book. EXCITED!

8. Sports - I'm a big sports fan, and I love to see sports as either a central or partial focus in a story - I don't even care, I'll take what I can get. (Recent enjoyable reads: Catching Jordan and Dare You To)

9. 24-hour time spans - Love Nick and Norah, Where She Went, Perfect Fifths and One Night That Changes Everything. Obviously this technique works well for me. I want more!

10. Dual narratives - He said/she said books are again, some of my favorites, so when I hear a book has both (or numerous) perspectives, I jump on it. (Faves include: Two-way Street and Under the Never Sky)


And while we're on the topic of what works for me, here are a few that do not and are usually Briana Deal Breakers. (Keep in mind some of these do have exceptions.)

No-gos:
1. Pregnancy - Only one of my fave authors has managed to make it work for me. And it's a satire. So yeah, there's that.
2. Drugs - Never did get the hype for Go Ask Alice. Not my thing then, not my thing now.
3. Fiction books written by celebrities - I do love Duff and Allen's series, though.
4. Anthologies - To this day I have not finished an anthology. And I own close to ten of them.
5. Books that are supposed to be diverse, but only play into stereotypes - That was a mouthful. But... I don't really know how else to say it. The Perfect Chemistry series (by Simone Elkeles) has a lot of fans, but just attempting to read a snippet of it (and books similar to it) had me cringing, which happens a lot when a character of hispanic descent is involved. Heavy slang and bad spanish are so often used, I just feel like this is such an awful stereotype so many writers turn to for no other reason that I see than laziness. I'm part spanish myself and living in south Texas, I know many hispanics. And NONE of them talk like that. That's not to say others don't, but I just feel like at this point, this stereotype reflects badly and has so many negative and racial connotations.

***

ANYWAY. That was longer than I intended. And that last one is whole other topic altogether. Let me know if we have any of these in common, and feel free to leave me links to your lists!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooo, dual narratives are a lot of fun! I loved how it worked in Dash & Lily's Book of Dares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Witches made my list as well. I didn't think to add unreliable narrators, but that is a good pick too. They always keep me guessing. I love the Mara Dyer series!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!