Monday, June 3, 2013

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein


Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy? 

A Michael L. Printz Award Honor book that was called "a fiendishly-plotted mind game of a novel" in The New York Times, Code Name Verity is a visceral read of danger, resolve, and survival that shows just how far true friends will go to save each other.


If you haven't heard of this book, you must be living under a rock as it's been getting much critical acclaim and an abundance of bookish awards lately, which Wein, I so strongly believe, is very well deserving of. I give her ALL THE PRAISE!

I went into Code Name Verity not knowing much. I knew it was a story set during WWII, surrounding the holocaust, I knew it was a tale of friendship and bravery and also had some twists and turns woven throughout. But that's it, and I'm glad.

I often find that the books I hardly know anything about are the ones that end up on my ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS EVER list, as this one so definitely did. You know those books that you're in the middle of reading, and suddenly come across a quote so simplistic but speaks volumes to you that you have to reread it over and over agin before you can continue on with the story? This was that book and had me certain it was going to get a 5-star rating before I was even half done reading. It's exactly the kind of book that made me want to start up this whole blogging thing in the first place; the kind of story that really pulls you in, and doesn't let go even after you've finished reading it.

I'm not going to go into much detail plot-wise as that's how my reading experience went (and so successfully, I might add), so no spoilers here! All I will say is that be ready for an unforgettable story, and a whole lot of tears. There aren't many things that make me cry. Books probably have the most success in that area for me; I've cried with books like Before I Fall and even Me Before You made me tear up a bit. I can honestly say I hadn't ever cried nearly as hard as I did while reading another book as I did reading this one. I'm talking nearly a whole box of tissues worth of tears. So stock up!

Also, something I'd like to put out there: I'm really not sure how or why this is classified as a YA novel. Sure, the MCs are young, but the content is something that vastly spans generations, historically influencing the lives of everyone no matter the age group or genre you read. It truly is a must-read for everyone.

So all in all, as this "review" has (unsurprisingly) become a whole jumble of words, just know that Elizabeth Wein has crafted an unforgettable story that both breaks your heart and fills it with love and hope that is friendship. You will want to hug and cradle this book, and then go out and pre-order Rose Under Fire, its companion novel out in September, like I did ASAP. I cannot wait.


(and a million more)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!