Monday, July 22, 2013

Firecracker by David Iserson

Firecracker by David Iserson
Being Astrid Krieger is absolutely all it's cracked up to be.

She lives in a rocket ship in the backyard of her parents' estate.

She was kicked out of the elite Bristol Academy and she's intent on her own special kind of revenge to whomever betrayed her.

She only loves her grandfather, an incredibly rich politician who makes his money building nuclear warheads.

It's all good until...

"We think you should go to the public school," Dad said.
This was just a horrible, mean thing to say. Just hearing the words "public school" out loud made my mouth taste like urine (which, not coincidentally, is exactly how the public school smells).

Will Astrid finally meet her match in the form of public school? Will she find out who betrayed her and got her expelled from Bristol? Is Noah, the sweet and awkward boy she just met, hiding something?

Find out in this hilarious tragicomedy from New Girl and SNL writer David Iserson!



Astrid Krieger is a trouble maker. And a hilarious one at that.

She's both admired and a little feared as a notorious one-woman show that loves to break the rules. Until she gets caught and thrown out of yet, another private school.

Her uber rich family then decides it would be a wise decision to give Astrid a taste of what it means to be without the privileges and independence their money gives, so they enroll her in public school. Not only is this supposed to serve as a wake-up call, but it's clear this "lesson" is meant to lead her to, well, grow up. Of course, true to the title, Astrid is a quite the firecracker and it's going to take more than switching a big fancy school out for an ordinary one to change her. Cue the Astrid-style chaos, antics and schemes of epic proportions!

This book is seriously awesome. And hilarious. Hilariously awesome. It is just filled with my kind of humor, I almost understand the not-so stellar reviews it's gotten instead of the raving fangirl squees I think it deserves. I have an odd, almost offensive taste for the funny, and quite often, what I see as a ROTFL-kind-of-joke isn't so much the case for others.

If you have a laid-back sense of humor, and want a nice change-up from the usual YA protagonist, Firecracker is the book to pick up. I'd even recommend it to fans of Courtney Summers that love her MC voices, but want something a little (or um, A LOT) lighter and fun for summer and beach reading.

And it's especially for those, like myself, who like character driven stories. It has less... conflict, I guess you can say, than many other YA books, and your constant need to turn the pages comes from wanting to know what Astrid is going to think or say - how she's going to react - rather than wanting to see how things play out and end; it's all about the hilarious and wild journey Astrid takes you on, not the ultimate place her endeavors lead to. Basically, in total opposition to what her family is trying to teach her about life throughout the story, it's all about Astrid; she runs the show. And I wouldn't have it any other way.




6 comments:

  1. Sounds cool to me - I definitely have an off since of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, hope you give it a try! It surprised me in the best possible way!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds hilarious! I love the show New Girl so I'm sure I'll love this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO hilarious! I really need to get on the New Girl train, I've heard great things about the show. Most people will prob (hopefully) see the show's mention on the cover and pick up the book, while here I am, the total opposite, wanting to marathon the show because I loved this one, ha. Another one to add to my TV addiction...

      Delete
  3. I have a copy of this on my shelf but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. I think that will have to change very soon. This sounds like my kind of book since I love that kind of humor. Great review!

    Katie @ Katie’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad! I'll definitely be looking out for your review.

      Delete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!