Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart


Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14:
Debate Club.Her father’s “bunny rabbit.” 
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.


Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15: A knockout figure.
A sharp tongue. A chip on her shoulder. And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston. 

Frankie Laundau-Banks. 
No longer the kind of girl to take “no” for an answer. Especially when “no” means she’s excluded from her boyfriend’s all-male secret society. Not when her ex boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places. Not when she knows she’s smarter than any of them. When she knows Matthew’s lying to her. And when there are so many, many pranks to be done. 

Frankie Landau-Banks, at age 16: 
Possibly a criminal mastermind. This is the story of how she got that way.


This book was/is bitchin'. Which, btw, is not a term I use often, but is so very well-deserved for this particular book because Ms Frankie Landau-Banks is one heck of a main character. She's incredibly smart, insightful, witty and headstrong, AKA my new idol.

As for the story, my lips are sealed since I think diving into it knowing as little as possible would be best and almost certainly guarantee a welcome surprise. (Though I'm assuming most people already know of or about this book as I am way tardy to this Awesome Book party.) I did appreciate the many questions that were raised throughout the story - philosophical and sociological (like social class, social order, norms, privilege and of course, feminism) - all of which the sociology freak in me cheerfully gobbled up.

If you're looking for a book that provides plenty of food for thought, indulges in free-spirited thinking, and major girl power with its kickass MC, read this now.

Definitely adding The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks to my all-time favorites list, it is THAT great and so much fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!