Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Reasons My Life As A Reader/Blogger Isn't Half Bad



This week's list was definitely a challenging, but fun one to compile. Hope you enjoy!


1. Goodreads - Basically facebook for booklovers, where hardly many people are annoying. What’s not to love?

2. Blogger reviews - Not all of us have companions just as book obsessed as we are, so it’s the opinions of fellow bloggers, who I trust, I often listen to that makes me pick up a book.

Lauren Oliver, and I
3. Author interaction - I love that with technology today, by simply logging in to twitter, facebook, or sending an email, we can be instantly connected with some of our favorite authors. That, my friends, is awesome.

4. Publisher interaction - Since blogging, one of the best perks that have come out of this hobby is working with some of my favorite publishers. I’m definitely not one of those bloggers that gets ARCs every day, but I get them enough and I know it’s all due to blogging. Also, learning more about the publishing world has been sooo great and really insightful.


5. My handy dandy e-reader - I’m kind of anal about my books, meaning I mostly read them at home, in the safe environment that is my room, in one sitting. But, sometimes I just can’t and that is where my kindle comes in. It’s nice to carry it around while I’m in the middle of an unputdownable book, and knowing I have as many other books as I want on hand to read, as soon as I’m done with my current one, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

6. Netgalley - I love getting print ARCs as much as the next blogger, but as someone that’s not only running out of shelf space, but space for actual shelves, it’s nice to get access to upcoming releases that won’t clutter my cave any more than it already is.
Credit: uk.spotastore.com


7. Amazon - I know, I know. Amazon is a pretty popular company to hate right now, but you gotta admit, the prices are great (though, I’ve noticed the increase...) and have more than once gotten me multiple books for the price of what would have been just one elsewhere.

8. Blog readers/friends - It doesn’t matter if I’m on a roll with blog posts or I’m in a blogging slump - one thing I can always count on is keeping in touch with some of my favorite bookish people. YOU ARE ALL MY FAVES. And I love that we all have more in common than just great literary taste - we can talk about lots of things, but books are what unites us, and I love it.

9. My current college sabbatical - Taking a year off from school has definitely helped me fit in MANY more books than I originally would while cramping my brain with essays, finals, speeches, etc.


disclaimer: the above is not a totally accurate representation of our trips, FYI. We usually sing along to the radio (badly) and WTF over other people's driving. Also, we wear seatbelts.
credit: tumblr, obvs.
10. Friends who drive - This is where I let you in on a secret. Well, it’s not really something I keep secret, but I don’t think the opportunity to share has ever come up before, until now. I don’t drive. I’m 22 and should probably get on that STAT, but I just never got around to it for many reasons, including my insane anxiety, but that’s besides the point. I’m lucky to live in Texas, where there are lots and lots of bookish events throughout the year; we have TxLA, the Austin Teen Book Fest, and the Texas Book Festival, just to name a few. And that’s all super amazing, except for when you can’t drive the 2-4 hours to the event (TX is big, y’all). So I’m not ashamed to say I’ve bribed and begged my besties to take me before, and lucky for me, they are awesome and usually comply when they can. They also live 20 minutes from downtown ATX, so I always have a place to crash. YAY.

***

Okay. Those were just some of the reasons my life as a blogger and reader is less stressful than it could be. It's actually not half bad. Some are more ridiculous than others, sure, but that’s pretty much all the different angles of my personality summed up. Ha!


So... do we have any in common? Link me to your list, and I’ll be sure to check it out!


3 comments:

  1. Good list, I also value other bloggers reviews since I'm the only person in my family that regularly reads so I usually need to go online to find other peoples opinions on books as well. I'm also a big fan of amazon more so for there great selection then their prices though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really read reviews other than of the books I have read myself. Otherwise I can become quite biased over a book I haven't yet read and if I read the book I can exchange my opinions on it and interact woop

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahaha, I definitely wish I had more bookish friends with cars, because I'm 24 and I also don't drive :)

    I thought I'd get a lot of flack for putting Amazon on my list, but I'm glad to see I'm far from the only one who takes advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!