Monday, September 2, 2013

August Wrap-Up

I'm new to these wrap-ups, but seeing how I'm def not one of those bloggers that posts once (or multiple) times a day, I figured this would be a nice monthly addition to keep you updated on what's going on here on and off the blog, and what I've read so far.

So, last month I read a total of four books (well, 4.5 if we're getting technical), which is always my goal though I try my best to pass it, but I'm glad I at least hit the minimum. I'm planning on reviewing most of them, but until then, I'll give you a taste of what I thought.

Books Read In August


The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine
As soon as I'd heard about this book, straight to my wish list it went! I must say, though it kind of pains me, this one was a bit of a letdown. It was funny, and cute, but a lot of it was a bit dramatic - at least in the sense of a typical teen's life. It was enjoyable, but not a favorite I'd reread.


Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke
This was one of my most anticipated of the year - and def my most anticipated of the month - and I'm sooo happy to say, I really enjoyed it. I'd heard tons of great things about it in the beginning when reviews first started trickling in, but then some mixed reviews popped up that left me a bit nervous. It was a nice change from the usual contemps I'm addicted to. Highly recommend this one - for the story and the luscious writing!



Just One Year by Gayle Forman
So this month something out of the ordinary happened--I won a giveaway! As if that weren't surprising enough, the prize happened to be the book I was seriously willing to give up a limb for. I'd gone to great lengths to try and acquire this title - I requested an ARC copy, didn't get it; requested an E-ARC,  got denied (lol sob); entered Penguin's new First to Read program, no luck; and looked around at everyone that possibly maybe wanted to trade/let me borrow, and found no one. So suffice to say, I was THRILLED to receive it. And it was oh, so fabulous. I hope everyone out there who's anticipating it as much as I was, loves it. (PS Just want to clarify that I'm normally not this desperate for an ARC, but my impatient fangirl tendencies get the best of me when it comes to my favorite authors.)



Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Last year a little debut that was being talked about as the "YA Game of Thrones" caught my interest, and so when it popped up on Netgalley, I requested it. (HOUSE STARK FANGIRL HERE WHAT CAN I SAY I AM WEAK) It ended up being one of my absolute favorite books of 2012, and I can say this sequel is no exception this year. If I had any complaints about it at all, I'd pick the romance. I'm just not a Chaol fangirl (gasp! I know) and prefer Dorian much more. Also, from what I've heard, the prince was the only love interest in the original work Maas had first published online, so I'm a little confused about the added triangle. But nevertheless, my mixed feelings about that aside, this is a series not to be missed. If you haven't read Throne of Glass yet, DO IT. Then pick this one up stat!







Books I DNF In August


Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
I'm just going to be straightforward and say omg this book was sooo bad. Seriously, I did not enjoy it at all, and am actually quite proud of myself for sticking around for the 100+ pages I did. Not a book I'd recommend.



Posts For The Month Of August


Reviews:
The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
Winger by Andrew Smith

Fun posts:
My Life in Book Titles

Memes/weekly features:
Top Ten Tuesday: Reasons My Life as  a Reader/Blogger Ain't Half Bad
Waiting on Wednesday (38): Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
Stacking the Shelves: Birthday Month Edition


***

How was your August? Read or buy anything great, that you were looking forward to? How much reading did you get done? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I had the same experience of scouring the earth for an ARC of Just One Year, but I did not have any success. I'm glad you were able to get one!

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!