Monday, September 30, 2013

September Wrap-Up

Goodbye, September...

Overall, September was a good month. Life-wise/in general: Earlier this month I got to see Maroon 5, which was exciting. I'd been looking forward to that concert for a while, and they put on a pretty good show. Kelly Clarkson was also there and seriously--her vocals are insane. She was super awesome live, and totally lived up to her American Idol status.



Book-wise: The amount of September releases was crazy and totally made me broke, though I still didn't even get ALL the books I wanted. So yeah, obv October will make me poor as well. I was also bummed I didn't get to attend the Austin Teen Book Fest/meet Sarah Dessen AGAIN this year (sobbing 4ever), but I'm trying not to mope too much, so I'll shut up and stop complaining now.

Books received in September

Anyway, the books! I read a total of 5 books this month, all of them on my kindle which is weird since I usually space them out and alternate - one e-book, one physical copy, and so on - so this was a first. But they were all pretty good and satisfying, for the most part. And I had 0 DNFs -- zero! That's a successful reading month, I think.


Books Read In September


1. Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
I really liked The Darkest Minds, and honestly, I couldn't wait any longer to read this sequel, so I did. But I had a lot of issues with it, tbh. Especially the pacing. It seemed like every chapter someone was getting attacked, captured, sick, or killed. Seriously, it would never end! I get this is a dystopian, and these kids are kinda sorta on the run, but you know, everyone has down time. And it was pretty non-existent here. They really just couldn't catch a break and it started to get a bit annoying and slightly redundant... all for the purpose of dramatic effect. But I am glad the whole crazy ending to TDM was dealt with nicely and wasn't dragged out the entire book; that made me happy. I'm looking forward to the next/final book!


2. A Little Too Far by Lisa Desrochers
Okay, so... me: not really a NA person/lover. But this one kind of piqued my interest. Also, I'm just a sucker for Europe, where the majority of this book takes place. And you guys, I have to say... I totally didn't hate it. I actually liked it. It had its cheesy moments, and some pop references weren't needed (seriously, authors should steer clear of these! You're making your own book seem dated before it really is.) but it was a solid read.


3. Waking Up Married by Mira Lyn Kelly
I was in the mood for a nice romance, what can I say. This had been sitting in my kindle for forever, and fit the bill. Voila! It was a good one, and it's free on amazon so I def recommend!



4. Where I End and You Begin by Andra Brynn
After reading and liking A Little Too Far, I was inspired to find another NA book that I liked as much, or maybe even more. Then I remembered a book review I came across earlier this year from the lovely Racquel, from The Book Barbies. She's the person I have to thank for my Travis series obsession, so obv, I trust her and I decided to give this one a try. And YOU GUYS. I loved it. I'm not so sure how to articulate why or what it is that makes this title exceedingly better than any other I've read, but it just is. Often, I'll read a NA and think "not bad, but the horrible cheese and dialogue totally kills and overpowers everything that isn't horrible," but this is the one book where there was pretty much zero unintentional awkwardness and I wanted to hug it. So yeah. READ THIS BOOK. It's only .99 cents, so there's no reason not to!


5. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
So as some of you may probably know from the amount of squeeing and fangirling everywhere, the Harper people in charge of edelweiss chose to bless many bloggers with the magic that is auto-approval. I was (surprisingly) one of them, and this is the first title I downloaded and immediately read, right then. And let me tell you....it was a damn good choice. I won't be posting a review for it for a while, but it's already my favorite 2014 debut and one of my favorite fantasy books ever. It's going to be crazy hard for another debut to wow me like this one did. The bar is raised, people! It was amazing and all I want to do now is watch Beauty and the Beast and happy sigh.









Posts For The Month Of September

Reviews:

Memes:

THREE POSTS?! And only ONE review? I KNOW. No need to tell me, I know--I am a complete slacker. There was even a set of books I was supposed to review, but I was out of town for a good chunk of the month and didn't have them with me to read, and when I got back and could read them, I just wasn't in the mood. They're the kind of books I JUST KNOW I'm going to love when read at the right time, so I'm hoping the author won't mind the slight delay. So yeah. Hopefully next month you'll see quite a few more posts! And by "hopefully," I mean you totally will because it can't get any worse than only 3 blog entries, right? I won't let it!



So that was my September. How was yours? Any new books bought/read? Let me know anything/everything! I feel like talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!