Friday, June 3, 2016

2016 Update: New Favorites

So, though I've been gone so long, that doesn't mean the reading ever stopped. Hardly, in fact. Over the past year, I've discovered some new absolute FAVORITE books that are already housed on my keeping-forever shelf. (Yes, it's a thing.)

I haven't decided whether I'll be doing full-length reviews of each title later because 1. I know I have a free summer and all, but I'm not sure that'll allow me enough time to properly fangirl and book-push, they are THAT great. Also, 2. I'm kinda DEFINITELY rusty on writing reviews (not that I was hella good to begin with, but y'know) and I'm not sure I can do them justice. WHAT IS ELOQUENCE? You've read far enough, you know what I mean.

So.

New Favorite Series OF ALL TIME(!!!)


The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta
Book One: Finnikin of the Rock | Book Two: Froi of the Exiles | Book Three: Quintana of Charyn

I know Melina Marchetta is really acclaimed (with good reason) for her contemporaries, and though I really really love them too, THIS SERIES RIGHT HERE IS *~*MAGICK*~* I swear. After reading this completely epic story, I was unsure I could go back to reading current popular fantasies, fearing they'd pale in comparison. (Warning: they totally do.) Melina Marchetta is a genius and i love her words so, so much. I may have even bought multiple copies, including the new (super-expensive-for-American-Me) Australian versions because PERF. Read this series if you haven't already, I swear if there's any book recommendation I give that I'd like to have influence over anyone, it's this one.

New Favorite YA Fantasy


The Wrath and the Dawn duology by Renee Ahdieh
Book One: The Wrath and the Dawn | Book Two: The Rose and the Dagger

When I learned this was a spin on the tale One Thousand and One Nights, I HAD to read it, though I was scared it wouldn't be my thing since I'm pretty picky when it comes to retellings. Well, I'm totally glad I did because omgggg did it give me alllll the feeeeelings!! The romance is epic and swoon-worthy and our heroine, Shazi, is super smart and sassy and strong and everything I like. I'm sure you all have devoured this series as I did, it's a total new smoking' fave. GIVE ME MORE.

New Favorite YA Historical/Alternate History


Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin

HOLY SMOKES WAS THIS AMAZING! I'm kind of a WWII freak and one of my favorite films ever is Inglorious Basterds bc AMAZING, so when this book was first announced I--no lie--marked my calendar with its release straight away, I was so pumped for it. That October, school/mid-terms had me totally swamped, but I finally read it over Christmas break and was almost mad that I did just because the wait for the conclusion, Blood for Blood, would be torturous. AND IT TOTALLY IS! (So LBYR & NOVL, if you're feeling generous with an ARC, I AM HERE WITH OPEN ARMS). Cannot wait to see what happens and how it all ends!

New Favorite Contemporaries


The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan | How To Kill A Rockstar by Tiffanie DeBartolo

Fun Fact time! I totally love Kate Middleton. I followed the royal engagement and even set my alarm to wake up and watch the wedding on April 29, 2011. Needless to say, I was all over this book's release but I'm not sure I was even convinced I'd genuinely like it. I was buying because hellooo, this is my every day daydream and Kate Middleton's real life here! But I loved it, and it surprised me in all the best ways. It's the kind of book I'll come back to on a lazy day or when I need a pick-me-up read that's guaranteed to put a smile on my face.

I read God-Shaped Hole a few years ago and I'm still not fully healed, tbh. If you're a masochist in search of a book to beautifully and cruelly destroy you, there you go. HTKAR was just as good, but far less aggressive towards my heart. Don't get me wrong, my emotions definitely suffered and I was allll over the place when SOMETHING happens around the two-thirds(ish) mark, but fear not! The end is satisfying. Forever eagerly awaiting anything else Tiffanie DeBartolo releases.


***

So that concludes my updated favorites! For now, anyway. Hopefully, if I discover anything new to add this summer, you can learn about it in real time on here, or on Goodreads and Twitter, where I'll always be active even when this blog is sometimes not. Let me know if any of these titles are your favorites too, or if you have any thoughts on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one of them. They make me happy. SO GIVE MEH YOUR THOUGHTS!